Let’s Play Hockey!

Alec Holcomb, Writer

The Owatonna Boy’s Hockey season is just getting started. The Huskies played their first game on Nov. 21, against state ranked St. Paul Academy. The game served as a reminder to the Huskies that hard work would be a necessity to compete at a high level throughout the season.

The Huskies kicked off their Big 9 Conference play with their game against Rochester Mayo on Nov. 24. In a hard fought, back and forth game, the Huskies fell to the Spartans 3-2. Playing without a win in the season, the Huskies came out motivated for their next game and beat Rochester Century 4-0 to earn their first win, as well as earning sophomore goaltender Jacob Dub, his first career win and shutout. After the game, senior captain Kade Friedrichs was pumped up. He said, “We’re starting to come together as a team. We are beginning to take over the games that we should take over.”

The team currently stands at a 4-3 overall record and are 3-2 in conference play. Head coach Josh Storm is happy with the way the team is playing thus far. Storm said, “My expectation is to get better every practice and game, so we are the best possible team we can be at the end of the season. So far, I have been pleased that our players seem to be buying in, and the intensity they play with is increasing each game.” Cheer on the Huskies at the Four Seasons arena at 7 P.M. on Tuesday, Dec. 15, against South St. Paul.