Making history

Laura Bloomenrader

Owatonna’s gymnastics team wins section 1AA title to qualify for the Minnesota state tournament

Laura Bloomenrader, Writer

The Owatonna Gymnastics Team had a stellar section meet. Along with winning the team title and going to state as a team, two girls are headed to the State Gymnastics Meet individually. Senior Stephanie Kretlow received fourth place in the vault and second place in her floor routine and is headed it state in both. Sophomore Rebecca Olson took third in the balance beam and fourth on the uneven bars. Senior Stephanie Kretlow says, “I am very excited for State, but we will have to compete our best to live up to our ranking.”

Not only was the gymnastics team successful in the athletic department, they also took home a gold level academic award with an average GPA of 3.910. Head Coach, Tom Smith, received the Section Coach of the Year. The team scored 146.9 points in their victory, this being the first time they will go to state in school history as a team. The state competition is a two day event on Feb. 19 and Feb. 20 at the University of Minnesota Sports Pavilion, at 6:00 pm.

This is the first time that OHS Gymnastics has qualified as a team.  A Pep Fest will be held on Thursday morning after first  hour to send the team off to the state tournament.