Saying goodbye 2016

While 2016 is still young, at times, it can feel like 2015 was a lifetime ago. While the past two months have been filled with important happy events for many, the entertainment industry has taken a big blow this year. In 2016 alone, we have lost over 35 important figures in the music, acting and writing fields. Five of them have been widely known individuals with enormous loving fan bases that will continue to keep their legacies alive.

In memory

Alan Rickman

Fans of Harry Potter from all over the world were devastated to hear the recent news that the actor who played the sarcastic, yet also endearing ‘anti-hero’, Severus Snape, had passed away. He was loved dearly by not only the dedicated fans of his work, but also by his loving friends and co-workers. Immediately after hearing of his death, J.K. Rowling - the author of the Harry Potter series - sent...

Glenn Frey

While a majority of the people who recognize this name are most likely eighties kids, practically everyone can sing along to his famous hit, Hotel California, or at least hum it. Glenn Frey was co-founder and guitarist of the American rock group, The Eagles. His career in music began when he was the age of 16, when he took up the guitar. He joined and formed many bands before creating The Eagles, i...

David Bowie

Taylor Spaar, Writer

If internet users did not know about David Bowie before, they sure do now. David Bowie’s death was one that received a multitude of attention not only by those who listened to his music, but also ones who looked up to him as an individual and what he essentially stood for. Bowie worked in many areas of the entertainment industry as a singer and songwriter, record producer and an actor. His career...

Harper Lee

Feb. 16, 2016, marked the end of an era for many literature fans when the desolate news was announced that Nelle Lee Harper, author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel To Kill A Mockingbird, had passed away. Harper takes an interesting approach when addressing societal issues in her novel by looking through Scout Finch’s eyes, a very perceptive six-year-old girl living in small town Maycomb, Alabam...

Maurice White

Kicking it back to old school, we also have lost yet another iconic artist from the twentieth century, Maurice White, songwriter and lead singer for the legendary seventies band Earth, Wind and Fire. However, before Earth, Wind and Fire came along, White took the route of many successful artists and started his career in a small, local band. White and three other friends joined together to created wh...

Magnet • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in