Smoothing the school signup process

Sam Hylle

OHS Registration Guide

Sam Hylle, Writer

“I registered online last year, and it worked really well. It only took me about 15 minutes, and it was way more convenient than having to go into school to do it.”

— Carter Broton

With spring fast approaching, the registration period at OHS has begun. Registration guides were handed out to every current sophomore and junior on March 1 during TMM. During this time, students reviewed graduation requirements to make sure they are on track and will be able to graduate when the time comes. The next step in the process will happen on March 8, when advisors confirm dates for registration conferences with their advisees. Students are encouraged to come to school and register for classes instead of completing registration online. Mr. Miller stated, “Online registration done outside of the building over the last five years has not been as effective as we would like. We have run into problems with students not registering or not registering correctly online. Others have registered for classes without the prerequisite requirements or have simply entered the wrong course number on accident.” For students who wish to begin taking AP class, they must be sure they have taken the required prerequisite courses and be interested in rigorous coursework. They should expect an accelerated pace, as well as more homework and responsibility placed on the student to learn some material on their own. Students who take AP classes can sit for the AP Test in the spring to earn college credits. These tests are difficult, but if passed can take thousands of dollars off of college tuition.  Concurrent courses are also offered at OHS, allowing upperclassmen to obtain college credit while still in high school. If there are any questions regarding eligibility for AP or concurrent classes, students should make an appointment with counselor Mrs. Tami Langlois.

Registration night is Monday, March 14, from 3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at OHS. Students will complete the registration worksheet as well as officially register for the 2016-2017 school year. Late registration date is March 16, for those who were not able to attend registration night. Although it is encouraged, students are not required to attend registration night if they correctly complete registration through the Infinite Campus Portal. Students are required to complete eight core credits as well as six alternate or elective credits. Junior Carter Broton said, “I registered online last year, and it worked really well. It only took me about 15 minutes, and it was way more convenient than having to go into school to do it.” Students have multiple options when it comes to registration, but those who are unable to access a computer or do not wish to apply online are strongly encouraged to attend the session on March 14.