Orchestra on the road

Colton Heilman

Owatonna High School Symphony Orchestra performing on March 21st

Christian Kelling, Writer

After a concert Monday night, the OHS Symphony Orchestra is taking their show on the road. The Owatonna Symphony Orchestra is currently planning a trip to Orlando, Fla. The trip falls over spring break from March 28- April 3, where they will be enjoying many fun activities. The first thing they will be doing is spending a whole day on the Florida beach enjoying the ocean. The second day, they will visit the Magic Kingdom, part of the Walt Disney World Theme Park. The third day will be their biggest day, as the Symphony Orchestra will be performing at Downtown Disney at the Waterside Stage. Saturday, their final day, they will be visiting the Animal Kingdom. Sophomore McKenna Dirks said, “I’m really excited for the Disney trip, because I’ve never been there before. I’ve always wanted to go! I never knew I was going until Mrs. Justice surprised me.” The orchestra has fundraised over the past couple of months by selling frozen food, coffee and gifts to people in the community.

The orchestra contains three different ensembles: Husky Orchestra, Varsity Orchestra, and  Symphony Orchestra. Collectively, there are 111 students in the Owatonna Orchestra program. The most recent performance for all three ensembles was the All City Concert on March 21, in the Owatonna High School auditorium. The Junior High Chamber Orchestra performed two pieces in the All City Concert. Varsity Orchestra played as a full orchestra for the first time, something the ensemble has never done before. The Owatonna Orchestra program has a big month ahead of them.