Play Ball!

Sam Hylle, Writer

The Owatonna Girls Softball Team began their season on April 13 at home vs. Northfield. Although they did not come away with a win, there are still high expectations for the rest of the year. Sophomore, Tiana Blazek, started on the mound for the Huskies, with senior, Millie Wanous, catching. Blazek said, “I am really excited to get back out there and play again. I think our team is overall better than last year, especially our offense.” This years team boasts a mix of both young talent and upperclassmen experience. Jenna VonRuden, Erin Peterson, Riley Sheehy, Hannah Fisher, Tiana Blazek, Jamie Davison and Kenzie Karsten make up a talented sophomore class that will contribute at the varsity level this spring and for years to come.

Captains Millie Wanous, Kayla Johnson and Kirstin Pumper provide valuable varsity experience and leadership on the diamond. Wanous said, “I’m really excited for my last season playing softball. We have a great group of girls here, and with enough preparation I think we can make a deep section run. Everyone is motivated to do well, and if we execute we will be a tough team to beat.” The Huskies got their first win of the season on April 14, beating Faribault 9-6.

Fueled by the strong arm of Blazek and a vastly improved lineup, Owatonna can expect big things from the Huskies Softball team this spring. Feel free to stop by Morehouse Park and support the team in their next home game on Tuesday, April 19 at 5 p.m. vs. Albert Lea.