Boys Tennis making a racquet

derek thad serving

Matt Summer, Writer

The weather is finally getting warm and that means the Owatonna High School Boys Tennis season is getting into full swing; however, April showers lead to May flowers. The team has had two matches canceled due to inclement weather just in this last week. The varsity team is led by senior captains Mark Hanson, Reed Tucker, Jack Redman and Noah Velasquez. Jack Redman and Reed Tucker are the number one doubles team this year for Owatonna. Captain Redman said, “Reed and I are brothers on and off the court.” Junior Noah Loveless who plays singles for varsity said,“ I like playing singles because I am only accountable for myself.”

Owatonna Tennis has a rather young team this year, with Owatonna Junior High kids and OHS ninth graders making up a large part of the junior varsity team. Most of the boys on the varsity team are juniors and seniors, with the exception of one freshman. The team so far this year are six and three,  just about halfway through the season. On Tuesday, May 3  the team  played Rochester Century who are number three in the state this year. Unfortunately, Owatonna was swept seven to zero. The team is already looking forward to their match with Austin on Thursday, May 5 and they believe they will bounce back from the hard loss on Tuesday. The team is also starting to prepare for the Big Nine Conference tournament on May 14- the same day as prom.  The boys have their next home meet on Friday, May 6. That will be their second-to-last home meet in the regular season.