Boys Golf in full swing

Colton Heilman

Junior Andrew Wall hitting the ball

Aidan Ebner, Writer

April has come and passed and now May is upon us. As most of the student body gets out their calendars to countdown the days until summer, other students within the halls of the Owatonna High School enjoy the month of May and what it brings. The OHS Boys Golf team would fit right in that category, because the month of May is when the Husky golfers are in the full swing of their season. After prepping through various invites throughout the month of April, the Huskies are now focused on what they need to do to get themselves another conference title. Junior Captain, Andrew Wall said, “We need to keep improving as the season goes on.”

The Huskies started off the month of May with a road trip to Rochester Century for a triangular meet with Century and Red Wing. Placing second with a score of 355, the Huskies struggled for most of the day. Following that, the boys traveled over to Lake City on Wednesday, May 4, to participate in the annual Jewell Invite where they took seventh place with a score of 347. Continuing conference play, the OHS Boys Golf team hosted Faribault on Thursday, May 5, where they won with a score of 354. The following week, the Huskies hosted another meet with a triangular including, Rochester John Marshall and Mankato West, where they took third with a score of 356. Coach Keith Bangs said, ”It has been a challenging year so far up to this point.  We are hoping to progress and make an improved showing in the upcoming weeks of the season.”

After the first couple weeks of May have passed and the brunt of the season has ended, the boys came out sitting in the middle of the Big 9 Conference. With about three weeks left to play before the waning season days, the Huskies are now looking to play their way up into the top tier of the conference as they head into championship and section play. With their focus being on one day at a time, the season prize will still be in the back of their minds as the month of May passes through.