Safety First

Although Powder Puff Football is a tradition at OHS, it does come with some risks.

Ashley Beckman, Writer

Every year during homecoming week there is the legendary Powder Puff game. The competitions consist of each grade making a team of about 20 girls that practice and then compete against each other. This year, the games will be played on Wednesday of homecoming week. This is an opportunity for all girl athletes in the school to come together as a class and fight to defend their class’ honor. Unfortunately, some of the fall athletes are not allowed to participate due to their coach’s orders. One of the teams that is not allowed to participate is the Girls Soccer team. Head coach Matt Roddy explained, “We have suffered a number of serious injuries in the game over the years including a torn ACL to a key player a few years ago. Our girls are serious athletes who work hard to compete at a high level in their sport. It is not worth the risk late in our season to play Powder Puff.” It is the middle of the season for all of the fall sports, which makes this time of the year crucial for all athletes to stay healthy.

“Our girls are serious athletes who work hard to compete at a high level in their sport. It is not worth the risk late in our season to play Powder Puff.”

— Matt Roddy

Powder Puff is played as flag football, which allows for less contact but there is still enough contact to get injured. The other sport that is not allowed to participate is Girls Volleyball. Senior volleyball player Tori Urch commented on the issue, “I would definitely play powder puff if I had the opportunity. It is a great way for people to show school spirit and it’s a tradition in the OHS that all girls want to be a part of.”

The sports teams that are allowed to participate are Girls Swim and Dive, Girls Tennis and Girls Cross Country. Senior tennis player Amy Oldenburg said, “Powder Puff is all about team spirit and making high school memories.” Although not all the athletes can compete in this event, they can still support the team by wearing the team t-shirts and sitting in the stands cheering on their fellow classmates. This event is a great way to bring the school together and get excited for the annual football game. The event is open for anyone to come and costs $1 or a canned item to get into the game. It will be held on Wednesday, Sept. 28 on the OHS football field. Magnet will be live tweeting for those unable to attend.