Heading North

Harrison Kuhn

Sophomore Syd Kretlow going for a big kick.

Abe Havelka, Writer

Despite two tough losses to Lakeville North and Albert Lea, the Owatonna Girls Soccer team is going into the postseason on a roll. The team came into the season with many high hopes and goals of going deep into the postseason. Early in the season, these goals seemed in jeopardy  after the team lost to Albert lea with a final score of 1-0.  Senior Toria Koch commented on the early struggles,  “We had a tough loss to Albert Lea which was really unexpected, It really put a damper on the season.”  They then beat a stingy Rochester Mayo team and started to find their groove.

With the tough start to the season the team fought back to a 7-6-1 record.  The Huskies were awarded the fourth seed in the section playoff and gained home field advantage in the first round of play. Captain Sophie Amundson said, “It helps having a bunch of fans there cheering us on. It just pumps us up even more to win.”  This home field advantage proved to be true in last night’s 1-0 win over Mayo in the first round of sections. The Huskies now venture on the road to play number one seeded Lakeville North.  Head coach Matt Roddy expressed his aspirations for the next matchup, “If we can win on Thursday against Lakeville, our goal is to make it to state.”  The Huskies look to play the best  game of the year this Thursday at 5 p.m. at Lakeville North High School.