Pennies For Patients

Matthew Bothun

More stories from Matthew Bothun

From the Heart
April 18, 2017
Fate of his family
April 18, 2017

In America, 320,000 people are affected with some form of Leukemia or Lymphoma. To help find a cure,  Owatonna DECA will be participating in Pennies for Patients. The event will take place this Tuesday, Nov. 15. Pennies for Patients is a three-week program where students collect change and raise funds towards a cure for blood cancers. DECA officer and organizer Katie Segler said, “We thought it would be a great fundraiser to do at our school because it actually helps kids and adults in Minnesota suffering from leukemia and lymphoma.” This fundraiser is inexpensive for students and a great opportunity to help cancer patients in the state of Minnesota.

During advisement on Tuesday, teachers will be collecting money to help find a cure for leukemia and lymphoma Administrator Scott Pierce said, “We chose to get involved with pennies for patients because we were looking for a community service project to take part in and they provided most of the materials.” DECA students will be taking donations during lunches as well; a table for donations will be set up in the commons. The advisement that brings in the most money will receive breakfast in their advisement the following week. DECA’s goal for the event is to raise $500. The funds collected by OHS will be used to help families in need throughout Minnesota. For more information on the event or how students can get involved themselves, visit Student Series website at  http://www.studentseries.org/.