Thanksgiving Traditions

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it is a good time to be grateful for what you have and the people in your life. People use an extremely wide variety of traditions to celebrate this holiday. Whether it be a certain food, perhaps a movie watched with the family or Black Friday shopping, traditions are one of the crucial components of Thanksgiving that make it special.

Here are what some OHS students think Thanksgiving looks like:

Do you usually travel somewhere for thanksgiving?

‘I usually go to Kansas.’ What are some things you are thankful for? ‘My beautiful looks.’

— Aaron Thevenot, Sophomore

What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? ‘Eating all the pickles.’

What are some things you are thankful for? ‘My family, dogs, Netflix, pickles and Ashley Beckman.’

— Burke Henderson, Sophomore

What would your average thanksgiving look like? ‘Everyone around our dining room table, cheerful and happy to see each other.’

— Nick Anderson, Sophomore

What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? ‘Mourning the Native Americans.’ What are some of the things you are thankful for? ‘Mr. Maine.’

— Ben DeNio, Junior

What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? ‘Making food as a family and putting leftover whipped cream on our dog’s noses.’ What are some things you are thankful for? ‘My family, my friends and all the wonderful lessons and opportunities I’ve been given.’

— Kjerstin Anderson, Junior

What is your favorite food to eat during Thanksgiving? ‘Cranberry sauce.’ Do you usually travel somewhere for Thanksgiving? ‘Coon Rapids, MN.’

— Thomas Thole, Junior

Do you usually watch the Thanksgiving parade? ‘Only if there’s a Shrek balloon.’ What would your average Thanksgiving look like? ‘People in the living room talking about family drama and a few cooking.’

— Ryan Cox, Senior

What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? ‘We get a huge cake and everyone gets a piece and whoever gets a baby in their piece has to do chores.’ What is your favorite food to eat during Thanksgiving? ‘Desert! Chocolate cake!’

— Juana Sanchez, Senior

What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? ‘Beginning to carol with my family gathered around the piano.’ Do you go Black Friday shopping? ‘Yes, how could you pass up the great deals?’ What are some things you are thankful for? ‘My best friend Annabelle. Bless her heart. I love her.’

— Ellie Boison, Senior

What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? ‘Drowning my sorrows in stuffing and apple cider.’ Do you go Black Friday shopping? ‘Indeedy.’ What are some things you are thankful for? ‘Random surveys, flannels and mac and cheese pizza.’

— Isaiah Damitz, Senior

Do you usually travel somewhere for Thanksgiving? ‘My grandparent’s house. It’s in the middle of nowhere and it’s about ten degrees colder there, but I think it counts as a vacation spot.’ Do you go Black Friday shopping? ‘I hate people.’ What is your family’s most important tradition? ‘Being together because ohana means family and family means no one is left behind.’

— Madison Carlson, Senior

What are some things you are thankful for? ‘Freedom.’

— Jacob St. John, Senior

What if your favorite food to eat during Thanksgiving? ‘Lemon meringue pie.’ Do you go Black Friday shopping? ‘NO. (I value my sanity and health).’

— Sophia Paley, Senior