Can’t wait to be under the sea

Bernadette Donlon, Writer

A magical underwater world is soon to develop at OHS. This year’s winter musical, Disney’s The Little Mermaid, is set to begin auditions soon. Some of the biggest roles in this well known musical include Ariel, Prince Eric, King Triton, Sebastian, Flounder and Ursula. There are also many supporting and chorus roles for various voice parts. Director Erik Eitrheim said, “This show is a very familiar and popular musical. Being in it will be like bringing a story from your childhood to life.”

Auditions for any show can be stressful for participants. Senior Annabelle Paquin said, “I’m planning on auditioning. I’ve made it in the past but there’s no guarantee you’ll make it again. It’s a little nerve wracking.” Being nervous for auditions is completely normal, and can actually help student’s performance. Eitrheim said, Know your stuff and go big with it. Know your songs as well as possible and perform them with gusto.”

Know your stuff and go big with it. Know your songs as well as possible and perform them with gusto

— Mr. Erik Eitrheim

There are  Audition packets  available online on the OHS Theater page or outside of room B102. These packets have songs that should be prepared for auditions as well as a few tips for auditioning. Dressing to move is also important to consider, since part of the audition will include dancing. The biggest tips stated in the packet involve being confident. Senior Ellie Boisen said, “I always perform better when I’m more confident in what I’m doing. If I’m not actually confident, I fake it.” To help students take an extra step in preparation, there will be two RTI sessions focusing on singing, acting and auditioning for a musical. These will take place in the auditorium on Dec. 8 and 9.

Before auditioning, a person should make sure they are available for all the performance dates. The show will run Thursday, Feb. 23 to Sunday, Feb. 26 with two shows on Saturday Feb. 25. Auditions will take place in the OHS auditorium at 2:45 p.m. on Dec. 15 and 16. Callbacks will also be in the auditorium at 2:45 on Dec. 21. Break a leg to all auditioning!