The gift of giving: Food Drive

Aidan Ebner

Food donations in the career center. Students can still bring in donations before winter break

The holiday season is a time of joy and giving.  OHS is doing their own form of giving, by helping out students and their families who are less fortunate during the holidays. There are currently 19 students at OHS who qualify as homeless, either staying in shelters, with other families or on the couch of a friend or relative. Mrs. Nancy Williams heads the school food drive with the school guidance counselors to help out the students and their families who are most in need.

OHS will be putting on a week long event to help out those who are less fortunate this time of year.  Beginning Friday, Dec. 16 and ending Wednesday, Dec. 21, OHS will be taking food and money donations in the Career Center to go towards those who really need it this holiday season.  Williams said, “We do this to help other OHS students and their families during the holidays that are living in poverty and unable to buy gifts or have enough food for all of winter break.”

Students who donate a non-perishable food item or money will receive a chance to put their name in a drawing.  Each dollar or food item donated is good for one name in the drawing.  There is no maximum amount of money or food items students can bring in.  The prizes from the drawing include: 10 “wear a hat to school for a day” passes, two sets of prom tickets, two $20 Target gift cards, two passes for the staff parking lot for the remainder of the year and two After Prom tickets.

Students can still bring in items or money after Wednesday, Dec. 21, but they will not be able to enter into the drawing past that day. Students can drop off items in the Career Center anytime and enter names into the drawing on Mrs. Stewart’s desk.  All winners will be drawn on Wednesday.

OHS continues to keep the giving spirit during this week before winter break.