Talk to ’em

Andrew Jackson, Writer

The OHS Speech team’s season is coming again this year. They begin to prep as they look forward to their season and competition. The team is expecting approximately 20 to 30 participants for this season. They also have a new coaching line up for this coming year. Ms. Jennifer Jeno has moved up as the new head coach with new assistant coach from OJHS, Ms. Nicole Wagner. The categories for speech include: creative expression, discussion, duo interpretation, extemporaneous reading, extemporaneous speaking, great speeches, humorous interpretation, informative speaking, original oratory, serious drama interpretations, serious poetry interpretation, serious prose interpretation and storytelling. The topics vary for each participant to choose. Jeno said, “One thing I like most about Speech is the diversity and the students competing on a different level than your typical sporting event.”

Owatonna Speech Captains

The OHS Speech team captains that lead the team are junior Sheldon Jensen along with seniors Britta Gantert and Kim Strobel. They are all looking forward to their upcoming season taking on their tasks at hand. Strobel says, “I’m looking forward to all the new people and all the categories this year as well.” They are beginning to practice and work on their speeches for their competitions this year.

Their first meet is on Feb. 4 at Rochester John Marshall.