Jazz it up a little

Andrew Jackson

OHS Jazz Band practicing

Andrew Jackson, Writer

This years OHS Jazz Band season has been in full swing since early October. For many years the Owatonna High School jazz band has been playing for the community of Owatonna. Some of the places the band has played for thus far in the Owatonna community are the Owatonna Country Club, the Rotary Club and multiple other places within the community.

The OHS Jazz Band looks forward to their first and only formal concert this season on Mar.12 , as well as playing at a jazz festival they play in every year. At the festival they will get to see other bands and music groups play their own style of jazz. Director Mr. Pete Guenther enjoys bringing the music of jazz to our community. Guenther said,“I like the fact that one of the best parts about jazz is the creativity and the different styles the kids can play.” The process seen throughout the season is a development of the students, from creating their own music to being proud of the music they can play. Junior Evan Steiger said, “Jazz is a different type of music all together. It’s far from what we play during class, and that makes it really fun to play.” The OHS Jazz Band looks forward to playing for the Owatonna community for the rest of this year. Go check out this talented group of students on Mar.12 in the OHS Auditorium at 7 p.m.