Raising the Net

Richard Ong

Sophomore Cody Bussert hits a forehand

Derek Thada, Staff Writer

The Owatonna Boys Tennis team’s regular season ended May 11 with a 7-0 win over Austin and a 3-4 loss against Northfield. Heading into the Big 9 tournament on Saturday at the Marv Hanenburger Tennis Center at Kutzky Park in Rochester, the Huskies are 14-4 overall and 8-3 in the Big 9. The Huskies ended tournament play with 44 points, good enough for fourth place in the conference. Individually at the tournament, senior Eden Mrozek, who will be playing tennis at the University of North Dakota next year, placed third at number one singles. Senior Derek Thada placed third at number two singles, sophomore Cody Bussert placed third at number three singles, and freshman Ethan Engel and Brendan Kath won third at three doubles on the day.

The Rochester Mayo Spartans were crowned Big 9 champions, finishing with 68 points. The Spartans went undefeated in head to head matches in the Big 9, going 11-0. Senior Eden Mrozek said, “I think [Big 9] went pretty well overall; we had some people step up big.” Head coach Curt Matejcek shared his thoughts on the Huskies’ finish, “I thought we had a really solid day. Great effort from the team to finish fourth in a tough conference.” The Huskies are back in action Thursday, May 18, on the road against Rochester Century in the second round of the Section 1AA tournament. The Huskies defeated Austin on Tuesday 7-0 in the first round.