Welcome to America

Meet OHS's foreign exchange students.

October 15, 2014

Group photo of the foreign exchange students. Not pictured: Fritz Herre, Laura Johnson, Basem Rizk and Yann Stritt.

There are 12 foreign exchange students, coming from 10 different countries. Although some are familiar faces, most are new to OHS. So, make them feel welcomed by saying “hello” and get to know our foreign classmates.

Aya Murakami

Aya Murakami (4)

Where are you from?   Japan.

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?   We can eat, drink and use our phones throughout the day here. There is also Football, It’s so cool! In Japan, we don’t have it.

What is school like in your country?   We have to wear school uniforms and there are exams to enter the school.

What do you miss?   I miss healthy foods and snacks.

What was your first month like?   It was awesome to stay in the country.

Jari Lindfors

Jari Lindfors (1)

Where are you from?   Finland.

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?   Everything is bigger here.

What is school like in your country?   We do not have sport teams in our schools, and we do not have any fun activities like Homecoming. I also feel like school is easier here.

What do you miss?   Family and friends.

What was your first month like?   I really enjoyed it. It felt weird to speak English but I’m getting better at it.

João Bueno

Joao Bueno (4)

Where are you from?   Brazil.

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?   The weather. The houses in the US do not have gates, and in Brazil, we do not have big backyards with grass. The price of clothes are different, too.

What is school like in your country?   We cannot choose our subjects, and we do not change classes.

What do you miss?   Brazilian barbeque and desserts.

What was your first month like?   It was pretty good. I went to the lake several times and went to a “Thirty Seconds to Mars” concert. I also met a lot of people!

Lucas Pineda de Campos

Lucas Pineda (2)

Where are you from?   Brazil.

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?

People here are not as family-centered.

What is school like in your country?   We have to wear a uniform, and there are three periods that you can study; in the morning, afternoon and evening. Students respect the school here.

What do you miss?   Firstly, I miss the food. I like the food here, but not as much as in Brazil. I also miss talking to my friends in my native language.

What was your first month like?   It was weird. Everything for me was different.

Adrian Fuertes

Adrian Fuertes (7)

Where are you from?   Spain.

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?   The language and some customs. Nothing big.

What is school like in your country?   It’s harder and you focus more on studies and less on activities.

What do you miss?   Pizza, candy and healthy food.

What was your first month like?   Very funny and entertaining. I had a lot of fun. Everything was new and interesting, and I met so many people.

Tlotlo Lesetedi

Tlotlo (4)

Where are you from?   South Africa.

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?   Cultural practices.

What is school like in your country?   We have more classes in a day and more year long classes. We also have to wear uniforms.

What do you miss?   My traditional food.

What was your first month like?   It was very cold. I came to the US during the winter in January from 105° degrees weather in South Africa. I loved the snow, so it was a great first month.

Cindy Delamare

Cindy Delamare (4)

Where are you from?   France.

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?   The system of high school. We do not have Homecoming, and if you want to play a sport, it’s outside of the school through a club.

What is school like in your country?   We cannot choose all of our classes and the day is over later, at five or six pm.

What do you miss?   The warm temperature!

What was your first month like?   My first month was good, but sometimes it was hard to understand some people because they talked too fast. We do not learn lots of English vocabulary at school.

Luisa-Sophie Lehmann

Luisa Lehmann (8)

Where are you from?   Germany.

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?   The food and the high school system.

What is school like in your country?   Compared to the OHS, my school is kind of like prison.

What do you miss?   German bread and candy. I also miss healthy and homemade food.

What was your first month like?   Awesome, I made many new friends and had many experiences.

Laura Johnson

Laura Johnson (6)

Where are you from?   New Zealand.

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?   The way people talk. We speak the same language, but it seems like two different ones.

What is school like in your country?   Not as good as school here. We do not have a cafeteria and the teachers seem more involved and are nicer here in America.

What do you miss?   Healthy food like salads and soups.

What was your first month like?   Not difficult at all. I really enjoyed it.

Basem Rizk

Basem Rizk (2)

Where are you from?   Egypt.

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?   The main type of food here, but we also have it in Egypt. People here do not say ‘hi’ much.

What is school like in your country?   Everything seems different from here and it’s harder. In Egyptian public schools, you stay in the same class with teachers that move around. We also do not have many activities available in our schools.

What do you miss?   I miss Egypt, my friends and family of course. I miss the huge crowds of people in the streets of Egypt.

What was your first month like?   Very good. First, I went to Arizona to get an orientation from my organization before coming here, and then I went to some places here, in Minnesota, with my lovely host family. I also signed up for cross country. It was a good month.

Fritz Herre

Fritz Herre (2)

Where are you from?   Germany.

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?   THE BREAD! The school system and the driving age.

What is school like in your country?   It’s more difficult, but we have shorter classes, six to eight 45 minute classes. I do like it more here.

What do you miss?   Nothing yet. Just the bread.

What was your first month like?   It was really exciting because I met so many new people, and it was really cool to see all the american food.

Yann Stritt

Yann Stritt (3)

Where are you from?   Switzerland

What is the biggest difference between the United States and your country?   I think the laws. In the US, you can drive before 18 and drink at 21. In Switzerland, you start to drive at 18, but you can start drinking at 16.

What is school like in your country?   It’s more difficult. We have one year of preschool, six years of elementary and then at the end of elementary, we have a big exam. Then there are three years of high school and there are three levels of high school that depend on your results from the exam. You cannot choose your own classes. They are assigned to you based on your level.

What do you miss?   I miss my girlfriend, family, friends, school and food. I miss my perfect country.

What was your first month like?   It was really difficult for me because it’s terrible to be far from all the people and things you like. The teachers are very nice with me, and I feel good in class. I live with a wonderful family. They are really nice to me, and I feel good being in their family.