Six students qualify for the DECA National Convention

April 23, 2015

Morgan Malo and Mr. Pierce at DECA state

Coming at the end of April, a few Owatonna students will be attending a business experience they won’t soon forget. Seniors Morgan Malo, Taylor Gaveske, Amber Holte and Jack Livingston as well as juniors Ghoutham Manokar and Luke Bunkers will be attending the DECA Nationals competition in Orlando, FL from April 24-29. All of these students are attending the event because of their success at DECA state in their respective events. At nationals, the process is the same as state, just with students from all over the U.S. There are multiple participants in all of the events, and whoever the judges pick as the best one or group from each event is declared the winner. Malo, Gaveske and Holte are going to represent the school store (School Based Enterprise). “I can’t wait to experience this in such a great city with some of my best friends, it’s going to be so much fun,” said Malo. Jack Livingston is going for the event Personal Financial Literacy. “It will be great to go to Orlando with such a great group of people,” says Livingston. “I just want to do my best and hope for success while having a great time.” Bunkers and Manokar are going for the Virtual Business Retail Challenge. “It’s going to be really fun, I’m excited to compete and enjoy my time in Orlando,” said Bunkers. The Owatonna DECA supervisor, Mr. Pierce, will be going to Orlando with the students as well. “This will be a great experience for these kids, I want them to have success while enjoying themselves at the same time,” said Pierce. The DECA nationals experience is one that all DECA members dream of going to, but only a few go each year. Regardless of the success they have in Orlando, this is still an impressive achievement for these students. Good luck!