Homemade Toffee: 12
- 1 cup unsalted butter. (room temperature will provide the best results)
- 1 cup sugar.
- pinch salt.
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts. pecans, walnuts, almonds…whatever.
- Cover the bottom of a 9 by 9 pan with aluminum foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray. (To use a cookie sheet double the recipe.)
- Combine the butter, sugar, and salt in a heavy saucepan. (don’t use a cold saucepan…let it warm a bit)
- Bring to a boil over medium heat…stirring constantly. (don’t skip the stirring!) Bring it to a boil gently and continue stirring often (watch out for it sticking)!
- Cook until it darkens in color about 10-20 minutes. (technically that is 285 degrees…we guess) (Update: My daughter wanted me to mention a trick to know if it’s done…
- If you drop some of the mixture into ice water, wait a bit for it to cool, and it stays hard when you take it out of the water…it’s done.)
- When your butter and sugar mix gets to the right color pour into the pan.
- Sprinkle the top with the chocolate chips.
- Leave it for a minute or two so that it will soften. Spread all pretty-like.
- Put the nuts on top. Push those nuts in a bit so they stick.
- Pop that into the fridge until set.
Recipe can be at www.nelliebellie.com