DIY Valentine’s Day ideas

Boxes of chocolate at the front of the store, red and pink everywhere you look, people panicking to think of the perfect date. It’s that time of year again: Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. The exciting (and sometimes dreaded) holiday is this coming Sunday. Some OHS students will be celebrating a relationship this year by going on a romantic date. Others will be participating in a celebration of friendship sometimes referred to as “Galentine’s day.” And others will be content with eating candy alone or ignoring the holiday all together. But, whether you’re spending the day of love with that special someone, hanging out with friends or just treating yourself, these fun crafts and recipes from Pinterest are the perfect way to make this Valentine’s Day the best one yet.

Ombre Flowers Wall Hanging

Red Velvet Truffles

No dessert says romance like red velvet. This Valentine's day, swap the cake for these adorable snack sized bites. They're easier to make and perfect for sharing. Ingredients: box red velvet cake mix (plus ingredients listed on the box to prepare the cake) 8 oz cream cheese, softened 16 oz white chocolate 2 oz dark or semi-sweet chocolate Instructions: Prepare the 9 x 13 inch cake a...

Pedicure Jar

A pedicure in a jar makes the perfect gift for any girl that likes to pamper herself. Make one for a DIY spa night with friends or give one to your favorite teacher. What you'll need: Wide mouth mason jars Basic pedicure tools (you can find basic sets at any drug store) Nail polish (try Essie for the cutest colors) Cotton Rounds Ribbon Custom labels (just print them out on th...

Heart-shaped Macaroons

This Valentine's Day, try something new by making macaroons! These cute, tasty treats are perfect to give to friends or snack on by yourself! They can also be made in many different colors by switching the food coloring! Ingredients for cookies: 1/4 cup egg whites (room temperature) 1/4 cup sugar 1/3 cup almond powder 1/4 cup icing sugar fuchsia color gel Ingredients for buttercream: ...

Star Wars Cards

This Valentine's day, Star Wars fans can show their friends they care without compromising their one true love - Star Wars. With these printable cards, everyone you know can get a greeting from Yoda. Tape candy onto them like you did as a little kid and deliver at school. Go to Yellow Bliss Road to download the cards for free....

Bacon Hearts

Guys, don't think you can't take part in Galentine's day too. Keep your bromance alive with this tasty breakfast idea. Or, girls, give your boyfriend the gift he really wants this Valentine's day. Either way, you can't go wrong with bacon. Just cook the bacon like you would normally, but make the heart shapes before you start. Eat plain, or on top of a breakfast melt for extra deliciousness...

Deck of Love

For someone you're in a relationship with, it's not all about how much you spend. Do something unique and thoughtful by making a deck of cards filled with compliments and memories. What you'll need: 1 full deck of playing cards 1 foot of red ribbon paper hole punch glue stick scissors personal photos and clip art from the internet computer Instructions Open up any word processing program on your computer and start typing out your reaso...

Strawberries and Sprinkles Buttermilk Pancakes

Wreath of Roses

If you're hosting a Galentine's party, decorations are a must. Try making this heart shaped wreath to hang on a door or wall. What you'll need: 40 three to four inch pieces of red tissue paper hot glue gun one piece of cardboard red paint ribbon Instructions: Cut three to four inch strips of tissue paper along it’s longest length edge. Crinkle the tissue paper and fo...