Fees return for school lunches

Aidan Charles

Picture of OHS lunchroom taken right after lunch.

Aidan Charles, Writer

As students enter the new year at  Owatonna Public Schools, they are having to pay for school lunches again. Most kids are not too pleased with this outcome. Free and Reduced lunches still exist. Students can get them by going onto the schools website and filling out family information.

Now that students are paying for these meals it’s deterring them from getting said lunches and breakfast which some people think would cause an issue with students’ school life and learning experience.

Senior Owen Korbel was understanding of the fact that school lunch was temporarily free due to COVID complications, but he also feels that it would still be nice to get that financial aid for all families. According to a study done by Education Data Initiative a full year of school lunch can cost a family for one student an average of $446.40-$493.20. “I mean, it’s understandable because we were only getting our free lunches because of COVID, but at the same time, it was really nice to get that free lunch and be able to go back into line and get a second lunch when I was really hungry.”

Well, I think a good breakfast leads to better kids and kids doing better in school. Nutrition is a big deal.”

— Ms. Hollinger

One person that believes that it would affect the learning experience of students is one of the lunch servers in the high school.  Ms.Kathy Hollinger, a lunch server at OHS,  said she feels for the students and that it would better their education if they all got a hearty breakfast. Not all students can do that if they cannot  afford it. Hollinger said, “Well, I think a good breakfast leads to better kids and kids doing better in school. Nutrition is a big deal. They’re gonna hurt somewhere on the line. We’re not making any progress for our future if kids can’t learn.”Well, I think a good breakfast leads to better kids and kids doing better in school. Nutrition is a big deal.”

Currently, students can get breakfast from 7:50 – 8:10 a.m  for $1.55. Lunch is from 11:07 a.m. to 1:07 p.m. and it sits at a price of $2.75.