Splashing into boys swim and dive

Justin Gleason

OHS senior diver Cole Piepho prepares to flip into the water.

Aidan Charles, Writer

As the Owatonna Boys Swim and Dive team entered their season, this year they have five 7 and 8th graders and 33 9-12th grade swimmers which leaves people wondering what the season is going to look like for the team given that they  have good team chemistry from last year and have some returns that made it pretty far in their events. The boys however, have started off strong in their season with a 2-2 record. The boys this year have high hopes of making it to state.  

The team this year consists of mostly returners from the last season, while gaining a couple of new swimmers. They will continue to build off of their success that was achieved last season and involve the new swimmers. Junior captain Matthew Larsen said, “We have lots of new guys on the team and didn’t lose very many and Eichten is constantly encouraging the team.” As they continue to practice throughout the season and continue having good energy, they strive to make it far. With diver Cole Piepho returning this season after competing at the state tournament last year.

The team so far is trudging through the season by their fierce determination to be the best and make it to the top. The swimmers have high aspirations for the number one spot in the conference/ section.  Having some of the returners from last year make it to state, they are eager to make it to state again. With Piepho to dive he should have an even better chance to win sections. 

Head coach Peter Rhodes said, “We do have a couple of guys that are hoping to go to state. Some of them being Cole Piepho for diving and Henry Hilgendorf also a diver. Some swimmers we hope can go to state are Carter Qualm, Matthew Larson, David Rhodes, and Ryan Peterson.”

All these competitors have high goals to qualify for state. The boys have their next meet at Lakeville High school against Multiple schools on Saturday Jan. 14 at 1:00 p.m.