Hartmann at state

October 23, 2014

Senior Briana Hartmann returns to the state tennis tournament for the third and final time

Senior Briana Hartmann will return to state tennis tournament for the third, and final, time of her high school career. “I’m really excited to go back It’s a big accomplishment and it feels really good,” said Hartmann. Hartmann beat Rochester Mayo, ranked third in state, in the section finals to take a spot in the state tournament. Hartmann said, “It felt so good. I’d seen her play before and she smokes the ball! I was nervous. For me, it was all about the mental prep. It was the best match of my life. After match point, it was the best feeling in my life!” The state tournament is played on Thursday, Oct. 22 at the University of Minnesota tennis courts. The tournament is double elimination. If Hartmann loses the first round, she will go into the consolation bracket. If she wins, she will move onto the quarter-finals. Her opponent first round is a sophomore from Mounds View. Hartmann is preparing for her last run in the state tennis tournament. “I’m playing aggressively. I am mentally focused. I believe I can win. I really want this. I am playing to win.” Thursday morning, Hartmann played and won her first round match in two sets- 7-6 in a 7-3 tiebreaker and 6-2. She went on and advanced into the quarter- finals where she played Chanhassen, the number two seed.

Update: Hartmann finished the state tournament as a player ranked in the Top 8. Congratulations a great, final girls tennis season.