Top 3 sledding places in Owatonna

Owatonna+Students+sledding+down+a+snow+hill+in+Lincion+School+

Angel Barajas

Owatonna Students sledding down a snow hill in Lincion School

Angel Barajas, Writer

During winter, many people like to go outdoors and do all types of fun activities when the snow is perfect. One activity that is most popular among OHS students is sledding. Sometimes It is hard to know where to go sledding due to the copious amounts of hills in Owatonna; and their verging attributes.

When picking out where to go sledding in Owatonna, one must think about safety, the steepness of the hill, the height of the hill and overall enjoyableness. One should also take into consideration which is the most fun hill to go down that also has an easy way up. In most cases the steep hills are fun, but not when it comes to walking back up in snow boots while dragging a sled too the result might leave a sledder exhausted.

Lincoln Elementary

At number three is the Lincoln Elementary sledding hills. These hills range from all different sizes due to students making their own hills off the snow in the ground. What makes these hills attractive is their location in town, which many deem them easy to access. Physical Education teacher, Mr. Dustin Thorson said,”I love hearing and seeing the pure joy of students sledding together. Students get very creative in how they try to sled during our classes.”The Lincoln Elementary hills are very wonderful for young kids, but also a very good way for them to go sledding and hangout with other kids during the winter.  

West Hills

Coming in second is West Hills. These hills are the second most popular hills in Owatonna to go sledding, because they are in a more conservative area and not in the wide open. While  the hill has limited space to go sledding overall there is still plenty of room to get the job done. Sophomore Parker Casas said, ”I always go sledding at the West Hills and it is a very good sledding spot and I really enjoy sledding there.” This hill could be enjoyed by everyone, but most younger kids just beginning to sled have the most fun at this hill. 

Owatonna Country Club 

Coming in at the number one spot, the hill near the Owatonna country club. This is one of the most popular hills in Owatonna due to the hill being steep and fun to go down since there is also a frozen river at the end. This means in case one does not stop in time they will end up hitting the top of the river. Sophomore Chuck Hawkinson said,”I have been sledding at the hill near the country club for about two years now and it is a very fun place to spend time in during the winter.” Another reason that it is number one is because it is not that hard to come back up making the overall experience less tiring which leads to one staying there for hours on end. This hill is very appropriate for adults and older kids because it is steep and very fast to go down.

Now when picking where to go sledding, think about these three hills in Owatonna and give them a try to see which one fits better to the sledding experience that is being pursued.