OHS welcomes guests to new campus

First Lady of Minnesota speaks to ISD 761 Staff
Jose Rosas
First Lady Gwen Walz was greeted by both OHS Principal Kory Kath and Superintendent Jeff Elstad prior to speaking to ISD 761 staff.

On Wednesday, August 30, the Owatonna Public School District was bustling with excitement on ISD761 opening day. The new Owatonna High School officially opened its doors to educational staff from around the community. Guest speakers for the event included Ms. Gwen Walz, the First Lady of Minnesota and the Superintendent of Owatonna Public Schools Jeff Elstad. 

From the new auditorium, First Lady of Minnesota Walz addressed staff about the path Owatonna has chosen by building the new high school. (Jose Rosas)

Once the school was filled to the brim with ecstatic educators, a special guest took the stage of the brand new auditorium. First Lady Walz focused her speech on community building and how education is valued in Owatonna. 

Ms. Walz said, “Being involved in a community and engaging others is one of the most important aspects of what we do in education.”

Anyone who comes here sees the priority that Owatonna has around students.

— Minnesota First Lady, Gwen Walz

As an educator herself, First Lady Walz knows how education is the glue to a tight knit community. She said, “Anyone who comes here sees the priority that Owatonna has around students.” Ms. Walz emphasized the importance of the state of Minnesota being united as one regardless of differences. Education provides a sense of harmony among communities. 

MAKING A STATEMENT

One theme of Mr. Elstad’s address focused on being courageous. (Jose Rosas)

Superintendent Jeff Elstad shared words of encouragement that he had for the educational staff. He took notice of the challenges that a new school may bring, but despite these challenges, the Owatonna community voted yes to a new school in 2019.

Mr. Elstad said, “I believe that it takes more courage now to be a public educator than ever before.” Mr.  Elstad focused on the fact that a future in a new school environment is unknown. It takes courage from the Owatonna school district to go forward despite not quite knowing what the future of education holds. 

He said, “Moving into a new building is not easy and I know you’re all still challenged by that in some way.” 

Mr. Elstad spoke words of positivity and hope in his speech. He said, “We have the opportunity this year for something really special.” The emphasis of his speech was that the 23-24 school year is going to be the best year yet. 

About the Contributors
Norah Sletten
Norah Sletten, Editor
Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved in Owatonna Girls Cross Country, Rotary Club and Drama Club. Outside of school, she is a part of the Youth Oriented Leadership Organization (YOLO), a mental health and anti-tobacco advocacy group in Steele County. Sletten enjoys listening to music, hanging out with friends and working as a barista at Hyvee Starbucks. In her future, she hopes to attend Carleton College and major in Cinema and Media Studies. 
Jose Rosas
Jose Rosas, Editor-in-Chief
Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of school, Rosas is involved in DECA, BBBS, SHOC, Link Crew, Owatonna Thriving Minds, student of the month and soccer. Rosas hobbies include spending time with friends and family, spending time outside and working on a couple of projects. Rosas future plans include finishing high school and going to a four year college to pursue a degree in Bio-Medical engineering. Rosas is looking forward to an awesome year of Magnet.