47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
48°/ 43°
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
48°/ 43°
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Serving up a new season

Crystal Garza
Halle Theis serving in the first home game vs. Kasson in the new gym.

Fresh nets and fresh faces as the Owatonna Girls Volleyball team goes into another season at the new Owatonna High School. This year, eight girls were brought up to the varsity team to fill the shoes of last season’s seniors. Subsequently, the team is now mostly made up of sophomores and juniors. The team may be young, but their passion and grit are timeless. Unfortunately, the Huskies couldn’t secure their first home game on Aug. 29. They fell in a four-set match, losing three sets with scores of 17-25,  20-25,  25-23 and 18-25.

The new gym allowed more fans to show up for the girls than ever before. There were 467 people scanned in, not including hard passes, leaving an estimated total appearance of 500-600 people on Tuesday night. The Huskies do feel a big difference not being in the old gym, but can say they prefer the fresh floors and high ceilings. The student section also seemed to enjoy having an air-conditioned place to cheer on the team while also having appetizing concessions. 

As of now the girls and coaches agree to continue to work towards some goals, notably improving blocking, staying low and enhancing on-court communication. Head coach Rachel Malo said, “You so badly want to go out there and do it for them and be that hype person, but we look to the seniors and upperclassmen to check in and say, hey guys we are not out of this.’”

You so badly want to go out there and do it for them and be that hype person, but we look to the seniors and upperclassmen to check in and say, hey guys we are not out of this.’”

— Rachel Malo

Coach Malo recognizes that the younger girls aren’t used to the fast-paced games that come with varsity, but her nerves are put at ease knowing the girls are ready to learn and ready to put their work into action.

Senior captains Samantha Bogen and Mehsa Kraus showed the importance of leading by example and gave reassurance to the team during the first game of the season. Captain Kraus said, “Don’t underestimate us, being a young team doesn’t mean anything. We can make plays, we can make the other team make errors for us, don’t count us out.” Getting the first game out of the way the Huskies prepare for the rest of the season. 

The next home game for the girls will be Friday, Sept. 8 at 7:30 p.m. against Lakeville South. 

Crystal Garza
Crystal Garza, Writer
Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at the Target Starbucks and babysits. Garza enjoys hanging out with her friends, family, and her dog Toby. Other than friends and family she spends money shopping, often rearranges her room, and likes to lay down to read a book while listening to music. Although her career path has changed throughout the years. In the future Garza would like to pursue a career in sports medicine, being a physical therapist or an athletic trainer. Garza joined Magnet to help her writing skills and get more involved in what's going on in OHS. Garza is looking forward to another fun year in Magnet.