The Huskies kick off the season at the new OHS stadium

Jayden Omangi
Riley Kleeberger makes a cut on a Hastings defender. Kleeberger went on to score a touchdown.

On Friday, Sept. 1, The Owatonna Huskies faced the Hastings Raiders at the new OHS stadium. This is the first ever varsity football game to be played on the new field.  Based on attendance and the crowd’s support, it was a perfect opening game for the Huskies. The new school was not only an attraction to Owatonna citizens, but sports fans across the state.

Back in December of 2018, the school board unanimously decided that they wanted to build a new high school, seeing as the old OHS was over 100 years old. Nearly five years and 94 million dollars later, the new campus is almost finished and ready for students and teachers to walk the halls. 

According to The Husky Bulletin, around 5,100 fans filled the stadium, not even accounting for Hastings’ fans. 

OHS Activities Director and Defensive Coordinator Marc Achterkirch said, “I thought it was great. As usual our Owatonna fans came out in droves and supported us. It was an awesome and fantastic experience, so a big thank you to the fans.” The fans made sure to keep their spirits high with student and cheerleader led chants.

With the arrival of the new stadium, the big question is how the new space might affect the football players’ mindset and overall performance. OHS senior and football captain Jacob Ginskey said, “It felt amazing playing on the new field and the atmosphere was awesome. I didn’t really think it affected how I played. Once I’m in the game I don’t really notice and am just focused on the game.”

As the game was brought to a close, it resulted in a 42-7 victory for the Huskies. This win marks head coach Jeff Williams’s 200th win in his career of coaching football. This is the highest number of wins in Big 9 coaching history. 

Williams said, “It’s just been a pleasure all these years to do this in Owatonna.” 

Although this is sure to be one of the most unforgettable moments in Owatonna football, there are many more this season. Come support the Huskies next Friday, Sept. 8 in Chanhassen and at the next home game against New Prague on Friday, Sept. 16. This game will be the annual Hall of Fame game. 

About the Contributors
Luca Gfrerer
Luca Gfrerer, Writer
Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is involved in band, dance and colorguard and is a manager for the school's football team. Outside of school, Gfrerer enjoys reading, listening to music, watching movies and hanging out with her friends.
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!