47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
48°/ 43°
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
48°/ 43°
69°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
67°/ 47°
Sunny

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Soccer gives back

Ava Flemke
Boys soccer captains hand Dylan Lauwers’ parents a gift in memory.

The past week, Owatonna Soccer has been working to give back to the community. On Thursday, Sept. 14, the boys soccer team played the second annual Dylan Lauwers Memorial Game. On Saturday, Sept. 16, both boys and girls teams hosted a Stock the Husky Pantry game. 

At 7 p.m. on Sept. 14, the Owatonna Boys Soccer team held the second annual Dylan Lauwers Memorial Game. September is National Suicide Prevention month. Dylan would have been a senior this year at OHS. He played soccer since he was a kid, but sadly lost his life to suicide. The team hopes to raise awareness for suicide prevention and bring together the community while also honoring the life of their former teammate. 

Owatonna’s Court Sports partnered and created shirts for the team to wear and for the public to buy. The “Out of the Dark” shirts were printed in purple and teal, the colors of the suicide awareness ribbon. The boys on the team wore their shirts all day leading up to the game. They were able to raise $1,105 for the sales, which all went to organizations for suicide awareness. 

The team played the Mankato East Cougars. Before the game, the players wore their special warmup jerseys and throughout the game they wore matching purple socks. Senior captains, Garrett Karsten and Ashton Kraus, along with junior captain Jackson Mottl, walked across the field and handed Dylan’s parents a special gift from the team. After the crowd shared a moment of silence, the starting lineup began with ten players instead of 11. This was meant to honor a position that Dylan would have played. Within the first half of the game, seniors Leroy Delarosa and Garrett Karsten each scored a goal for Owatonna. The team continued to play hard and ended the game with a victory of 2-1. Varsity head coach, Bob Waypa said, “This game is about remembering Dylan and all the positives he brought these guys growing up and playing together.” 

Waypa also explained that suicide impacts many people and that there is always others to talk to if you’re struggling. Senior Madeline Walerius said, “Dylan was someone who would do anything for anyone. No matter how much he was struggling, he was always willing to listen to others.” Being able to hold the memorial game means being able to bring awareness to suicide prevention. This game is a great way to honor Dylan and the special place he holds in many people’s hearts. 

Stocking the Husky Pantry

On Saturday, Sept. 16, both the boys and girls soccer teams played home games. The event for the day was to stock the pantry. The girls team played Chaska at 1 p.m., and the boys played Cretin-Derham Hall at 3 p.m.

The Husky Pantry is located at Owatonna’s Trinity Lutheran Church. They help those who may need an extra hand getting necessities. The pantry takes all sorts of non-perishable things like peanut butter, granola bars, fruit cups, mac and cheese and canned soup. They also take toiletries and hygiene products like toilet paper, toothpaste, or deodorant. Having these things donated makes it possible to help those in need while also keeping it localized. 

The games gave an opportunity for fans to donate to the pantry while also supporting Owatonna teams. The girls played an aggressive game against Chaska that ended in a tie of 0-0. The girls head coach Nate Gendron said, “We were on a bit of a losing streak so we felt this was a good result. We played really well, just didn’t get as many offensive chances as we wanted to score.” The boys team played a tough game against Cretin-Derham Hall and ended up losing 3-0. 

The event brought in over 400 donations. Coach Gendron also said, “We want to teach our players the importance of giving back to their community. There are a lot of students in need who sit next to them at school and we want to support them.” After the game, the girls team and the boy’s captains brought all of the donations back to Trinity to help organize it.

The next home game for the girls is on Tuesday, Sept. 26 at Lincoln against Albert Lea. The boys’ next home game is at Lincoln on Thursday Sept. 28, vs. Northfield.

About the Contributors
Ella Williams
Ella Williams, Writer
Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife. She enjoys spending time with friends and family and being outdoors. Over the summer she went to Clearwater Cove with YoungLife and worked at the Blast, a local ice cream shop. Williams plans to go to medical school after high school, and wants to go into pediatrics. She is looking forward to learning more about the activities that go on at the school while also navigating the new OHS building.
Ava Flemke
Ava Flemke, Writer
Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters and her first year being a YoungLIfe president. Flemke spends her summers working at The Blast, attending YoungLife camps like Clearwater Cove, and spending time with her friends. After high school, Flemke plans to attend Aveda Institutes in Minneapolis to study esthiology. Flemke looks forward to spending her senior year in the new OHS and experiencing the new activities.