61 °
    64 °
    66 °
    68 °
    65 °
    65 °
    64 °
    59 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    49 °
    51 °
    54 °
    56 °
    58 °
April 30
69°/ 39°
Heavy rain
May 1
63°/ 46°
Sunny
May 2
54°/ 48°
Moderate rain

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

61 °
    64 °
    66 °
    68 °
    65 °
    65 °
    64 °
    59 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    49 °
    51 °
    54 °
    56 °
    58 °
April 30
69°/ 39°
Heavy rain
May 1
63°/ 46°
Sunny
May 2
54°/ 48°
Moderate rain

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

QR Code replaces “Blue Pass”

This+is+the+QR+code+the+students+at+OHS+will+use.++
Ande Hunt
This is the QR code the students at OHS will use.

A new high school means adjusting to new rules. OHS students have a new pass system for the y 2023-24.

Instead of using the blue passes like in previous years, students now will use a new system where the attendance secretaries send a Google calendar invite to the student who is leaving the school. This new pass system is better for both students and staff compared to previous years. 

Some issues included students not picking up their blue passes and a different student or a staff member would have to bring it to them. The Google invite will send an email to the student and it will go straight to their phones or computers so they can see when they are leaving. Then when it comes to that time, they will be able to show it to their teacher and then they will be permitted to leave the school. 

For students doing PSEO, Big Brothers and Big Sisters or any activity where students have to leave the school, they will scan the QR code on the doors to let the attendance secretaries know at all times who is in the building or not. With the new school, this process is helpful because there is only one door people are supposed to use. 

It’s always a work in progress. We’ll take feedback, look at the process this year.

— Mr. Phillip Wiken

Students have their own opinions about the new school. Sophomore Jamie Fiedler said, “I do and I don’t like the new QR code because it takes longer to leave the school and you have to check in and out but I think it’s better for the security of the school.” Even though the QR code is a bit of a hassle, safety is the school’s top priority. 

Here at OHS, the staff, students and other people in the community try their best to make this school as safe as possible. Assistant principal, Mr. Phillip Wiken said, “It’s always a work in progress. We’ll take feedback, look at the process this year.” The school administrators are doing their best to better the school daily and prioritize school safety. 

Ande Hunt
Ande Hunt, Writer
Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school she enjoys shopping, playing ping pong, watching movies, and spending time with her family and friends. She joined Magnet to get better at her writing skills and to help her in  her future career as a journalist/news anchor. She is excited to be part of the OHS Magnet staff this year.