48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife....

The Huskies support Tackle Cancer for the thirteenth year

Canva by Luca Gfrerer
Canva graphic design displaying the Owatonna Huskies Tackle Cancer logo.

On Sept. 29, the Owatonna Huskies will face the Rochester Century Panthers, but this is not an ordinary football game. This game will be raising money for the Minnesota High School and college fundraiser, Tackle Cancer. For the many years that Owatonna has taken part in this event, it has brought in an incredible amount of money and support for the cause.

Although Tackle Cancer began in 2011, Owatonna was a part of the From The Heart fundraiser for many years prior. That fundraiser was also successful, but eventually, the organization ended. Once that organization stopped, Owatonna decided to keep up with the fundraising by supporting Tackle Cancer, an organization that supports the Randy Shaver Cancer Research and Community Fund. Since the event has always been wildly successful, the community will once again take part in raising money to support cancer research.

Ms. Nancy Williams, OHS social worker, is the main person in charge for the town’s participation in Tackle Cancer. She brought the event to Owatonna in 2011, and to this day she coordinates the fundraiser. This fundraiser has allowed the community to raise over $25,000. At last year’s homecoming game, the community managed to raise $1,265. There is no set goal for a year, but it is always a hope to exceed previous years. Ms.Williams said, “Anything that we raise is helping cancer patients and their families within all of Minnesota.”

With that in mind, fans are encouraged to come out and support the Huskies and Tackle Cancer at the annual homecoming football game this Friday, Sept. 29, at the Owatonna High School stadium at 7 p.m. There will be donation baskets at the entrance, and raffles for the fundraiser, and the winners will be announced at halftime. 

Luca Gfrerer
Luca Gfrerer, Writer
Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is involved in band, dance and colorguard and is a manager for the school's football team. Outside of school, Gfrerer enjoys reading, listening to music, watching movies and hanging out with her friends.