45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    49 °
April 28
48°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
49°/ 44°
April 30
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Anna Mollenhauer is a junior at OHS. This is her first year in Magnet. Mollenhauer is involved in girls hockey, soccer and golf. She is also involved in DECA, Young Life and 4-H. Outside of school Mollenhauer...

45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    49 °
April 28
48°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
49°/ 44°
April 30
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

Traditions carry over starting with Coronation Night

OHS King, Queen, Junior Royalty and Top 12 candidates Owen Beyer, Jackson DeGrood, Ashton Kraus, Mitchell Seykora, Ethan Armstrong, Torrin Smith, Anna Cox, Jacob Ginskey, Henry Hilgendorf, Faisal Farah, Jack Strom, Caleb Dibble, Thomas Herzog, Carsyn Brady, Victoria Contreras, Laken Meier, Ava Otto, Molly Achterkirch, Kathryn Sande, Ellison Ginther, Zac Fink, Elizabeth Radel, Makenna Neumann, Zoie Roush, Mariah Cueller and Emma Johnson. Back row front row. Left to right. (Crystal Garza)

Homecoming has been a tradition that has looked the same for many years at OHS, even at the new building things have not changed much. Remnants of old traditions are still around, like the coronation of Homecoming king and queen. This year’s royals will be the first at the new OHS. As usual, the weeks leading up to the coronation are filled with much excitement throughout the school. On Monday, Sept. 25, at 7:00 p.m., students anxiously awaited to hear who the homecoming king and queen would be at the coronation.

The Top 12 were proudly heard over the intercom on Sep. 8, queen candidates included seniors: Molly Achterkirch, Anna Cox, Makenna Neumann, Elizabeth Radel, Kathryn Sande, Carsyn Brady, Victoria Contreras, Mariah Cueller, Laken Meier, Zoie Roush, Ava Otto and Emma Johnson. King candidates included seniors: Faisal Farah, Jacob Ginskey, Henry Hilgendorf, Torrin Smith, Jack Strom, Mitchell Seykora, Ashton Kraus, Thomas Herzog, Caleb Dibble, Jackson Degrood, Owen Beyer and Ethan Armstrong. Those 24 students will put on a coordinated dance at the Homecoming game on Friday, Sep. 29, during halftime. 

As the voting advanced on Friday, Sept. 15 at the Homecoming pep fest, students filled the gym excited to hear who would be in the Top 5. The cheer team led the pep fest off with a performance, announcements for homecoming were made, and finally the top 5 were announced. The Top 5 nominees for both queen and king were seniors: Achterkirch,  Cox, Neumann, Radel, Kate Sande, Ethan Armstrong, Faisal Farah, Jacob Ginskey, Henry Hilgendorf and Torrin Smith. The last round of king and queen votes closed out on Sept. 21, at 2:50 p.m.

Coronation is also the first major event at the Wenger Performance Auditorium. The night began with emcees Norah Kath and Kennedy Katzung giving an overview of Homecoming events. Then OHS gave a thank you to the royal blue, silver and white sponsors. After that a video of last year’s alumni king and queen said a word. Casie DeVos,  student council adviser, said, “Norah and Kennedy were our masterminds of the whole piece and they wanted to create this elegant look but bring in the school pride.” 

After much anticipation, OHS crowned their Homecoming King Jacob Ginskey and Queen Anna Cox.

Homecoming king and queen Anna Cox and Jacob Ginskey (Crystal Garza)

Cox shared her initial feelings during the crowning. Cox said, “It was so surreal I was not expecting it, it’s really such an honor.” Cox is involved in FFA, SHOC and runs for cross country and track. As this tradition is chosen by the students of OHS Cox said, “I try my best to be well rounded and involve myself, but all the girls that were surrounding me deserved this as well.”

Ginskey expressed his thanks and said, “I was grateful it’s a great group of boys and great group of girls. I was just thankful I was chosen.” Ginskey is involved in football, track, basketball, NHS, SHOC, DECA, Rotary and Big Brothers Big Sister. 

OHS is launching off an exciting week filled with dress up days and game nights to show the Husky pride before the Homecoming dance on Saturday, Sep. 30 at 9 p.m. 

Crystal Garza
Crystal Garza, Writer
Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at the Target Starbucks and babysits. Garza enjoys hanging out with her friends, family, and her dog Toby. Other than friends and family she spends money shopping, often rearranges her room, and likes to lay down to read a book while listening to music. Although her career path has changed throughout the years. In the future Garza would like to pursue a career in sports medicine, being a physical therapist or an athletic trainer. Garza joined Magnet to help her writing skills and get more involved in what's going on in OHS. Garza is looking forward to another fun year in Magnet.