61 °
    64 °
    66 °
    68 °
    65 °
    65 °
    64 °
    59 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    49 °
    51 °
    54 °
    56 °
    58 °
69°/ 39°
Heavy rain
May 1
63°/ 46°
Sunny
May 2
54°/ 48°

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

61 °
    64 °
    66 °
    68 °
    65 °
    65 °
    64 °
    59 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    47 °
    49 °
    51 °
    54 °
    56 °
    58 °
69°/ 39°
Heavy rain
May 1
63°/ 46°
Sunny
May 2
54°/ 48°

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

New staff members at OHS

This+is+a+three+part+series+welcoming+new+staff+to+OHS.+
Designed by Andres Contreras
This is a three part series welcoming new staff to OHS.

OHS welcomed 15 new staff members for the 2023-24 school year. This series will highlight the new faces at the new building.

Ms. Brown joins the art department
Ms. Brown smiling for picture, excited to be teaching at OHS.
Ms. Brown smiling for picture, excited to be teaching at OHS. (Alia Kubicek)

The new OHS comes along with many new teachers. One of the new teachers this year is Ms. Katherine Brown. She teaches Art I, Art II, Art III and drawing.

Ms. Brown attended University of Minnesota- Morris. Ms. Brown said, “They have a great education program. It's very small so everyone knows each other.” Before coming to OHS, she taught at the Waterville- Elysian- Morristown school district for five years. While teaching there she taught elementary students in the morning and then high schoolers in the afternoon.

After teaching at Waterville- Elysian- Morristown school district she decided it was time for a change.  Ms. Brown said, “I was drawn to OHS because it is a really great community, everyone I have met is super nice so I am happy to be here; everyone is so kind to each other.” 

Ms. Brown has started off her time at OHS with creating a welcoming environment for all the students. Junior Kelli Waypa said, “I like how Ms. Brown makes the class very fun and relaxed and doesn’t get too caught up in the details.”

She was inspired to teach by the students coming in and making interesting pieces of art with their peers. So far, she has enjoyed teaching a lot and is looking forward to her time at OHS. Ms. Brown said, “I like coming in, getting creative, problem solving with everyone and making cool stuff.” 

Outside of school Ms. Brown enjoys learning about animals and gardening; she also has a farm with cows and pigs. Along with her farm she has two dogs and two cats. Ms. Brown can be found in room 341.

Mr.Forcelle building a foundation in OHS
Mr. Forcelle is excited for his first year at OHS
Mr. Forcelle is excited for his first year at OHS (Owen Smith)

Mr. Dan Forcelle is a new teacher at Owatonna High School. This is his eighth year teaching. Forcelle moved to Owatonna from Waterville, Minnesota. Forcelle will be teaching Industrial Technology, which consists of welding and machining. 

He grew up in Faribault and continued his education at Minnesota State, Mankato; he finished at Saint Cloud State University with a degree in Technology Education. Mr. Forcelle said, “I enjoyed it so much, and then our economy kind of went downhill so I went a different direction for a little bit and then finally came back to it.” 

Forcelle coming in as a new teacher, also came with many things he has to get used to and many struggles. Such as, setting up his room and equipment. Forcelle said, “It’s been hard to accomplish what we need to with your equipment not hooked up yet.” Although everything is not going so smoothly to start off the year, Forcelle still manages to make class fun and engaging. Senior Ethan Hoff said, “We haven’t been able to do much since stuff is not here, but he keeps us preoccupied. He just makes it fun, doesn’t bombard you with work and keeps you busy.” 

Although class is not able to be run as normal, Forcelle makes sure his students are still learning and getting work done. Forcelle is enjoying his time at the new school and Owatonna, he likes how much the community seems to be very involved in education. 

One of the main reasons for Forcelle becoming a teacher is credited to his woodshop teacher in high school, as he really enjoyed the class he taught. Forcelle found his appreciation for education from his family. He and his family grew up on a farm where education and hard work was valued. In his free time Forcelle enjoys farming and playing basketball. He looks forward to teaching at OHS and using the new equipment. Students can find Forcelle in room 137.

Ms. Jaqueline Grunklee gets a new position in the new Owatonna High School
Ms. Jaqueline Grunklee posing for picture on 80s day. Ready for an exciting year as OHS new receptionist.
Ms. Jaqueline Grunklee posing for picture on 80’s day. Ready for an exciting year as OHS’ new receptionist. (Joey Boie)

Ms. Jaqueline Grunklee has been working at OHS for three years. However, this year she started a new position as the OHS receptionist. 

Ms. Grunklee attended Riverland Community College, in which she majored in cosmetology. 

Ms.Grunklee previously worked as an educational assistant for two years. She worked side by side with Mr.Brandon Noble, Owatonna High School's second educational assistant.

Grunklee changed her position from an EA to a receptionist because she wanted more new and fun opportunities.  Ms. Grunklee said, “Although I do miss walking the halls and getting in my steps it was nice seeing other walls than just the four I see now.” 

Ms.Grunklee has been getting used to the new school and seeing all the new opportunities new to students.  Grunklee said, “I absolutely enjoy the new school. I think it's a great change for the kids. My favorite part about it is, the better security we are able to provide.”

Students can find Grunklee at the front office. 

Ms. Lejchar joins the OHS staff as an educational assistant
Megan Lejchar new educational assistant smiling for picture at Owatonna High School.
Megan Lejchar new educational assistant smiling for picture at Owatonna High School. (Chloe Gfrerer)

Megan Lejchar is a new educational assistant. Last year was her first year here at OHS when she started working as an educational assistant. While being new to this role, Lejchar has had experience in education. Ms.Lejchar said,“I’ve worked in schools for seven years, this is my eighth year now.“ Six of those were at Waterville, but then last year she transferred to OHS. She went to college at Minnesota School of Business where she studied health and exercise science for four years.

Being able to make good relationships with students is a very important job for teachers and being an educational assistant allows her to do that. During school she walks a lot while checking that everyone is where they should be. Ms. Lejchar said,“I walk a lot, about nine miles a day in this building is how much I walk.” Due to it being a new building, she has to find her way around, find where people like to hang out, and figure out the fastest ways to get to these places. 

Ms. Lejchar’s favorite thing about her job is interacting with high school students. Sophomore Lauren Packard said, “I have seen her around the school. It is really nice to see her because she is always in a good mood.” Ms.Lejchar is here at OHS because it is more like how she grew up due to the school being bigger and more diverse. 

An impact she wants to make is to make school more enjoyable for all the students. She also wants students to not be so scared or leery to talk to adults or even other students.  Students and staff  can find Ms. Lejchar in the media center or walking around the school throughout the school day.

Ms. Wood new nursing assistant teacher
Ms. Becky Wood smiling for picture excited for her first year at Owatonna high school.
Ms. Becky Wood smiling for picture excited for her first year at Owatonna high school. (Afton Torabpour )

Ms. Becky Wood is a first year teacher at the Owatonna High School. She teaches two nursing assistant classes and assists in a fire fighting class, which is new to the high school this year. Wood previously worked in St.Paul expanding their medical department. 

When changing work environments it can be a harsh change. Ms. Wood said, “It has been almost a complete 180 going from working in St.Paul to working in Owatonna, the culture is completely different here than it was there.” Students all come to class on time and excited, they look forward to seeing the labs and different lessons which is different than Wood's experience in St.Paul. 

Teachers have a big impact on their students. Sophomore Ella Henriksen said, “I really like that class because the teacher has a good method of teaching the curriculum and I can get my CNA license from it which is really exciting.”  Students are excited to sign up for this class as well as enjoy Wood as a teacher. 

She went to school originally to be a phyctotenchecoligist, which analyzes cells for cancer, at University of Wisconsin Green Bay. Then, she worked in a lab in Iowa and later at the University of Minnesota. While there, she got her education degree and applied to get a job at Riverland College, which she didn't get; this led her to her current job at OHS.  

Wood is settling into the program and curriculum comfortably. Ms. Wood said, “There is much more of a community feel here and that she is really enjoying getting to know her students better and connecting with them as well as learning our traditions.” She is looking forward to homecoming. Her favorite thing so far is the excitement she gets from her students and she's happy that kids are excited to learn and expand the nursing community.

Woods room is 118, it can be located to the right of the cafeteria. Students can stop by her classroom to learn more about the nursing programs at OHS.

Andres Contreras
Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school. In school he is involved in Key Club, DIG, Thriving Minds, and Link Crew; through Best Buddies and Link Crew, he has the leadership roles of secretary and commissioner. When he is not at school, you can find Contreras having fun with his friends and family, shopping, or binge-watching a new TV show. Contreras plans to attend a four-year university in which he will major in political science and minor in Spanish. He is extremely excited about his senior year and final year in Magnet.