39 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
    56 °
    60 °
    64 °
    66 °
    62 °
    62 °
    64 °
    63 °
    58 °
    56 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    53 °
    51 °
    50 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
68°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
65°/ 46°
Sunny
May 2
55°/ 49°

Jace Forcelle is a senior at Owatonna High School. Furthermore, this is his second year in Magnet. Independent of Magnet, Forcelle is a student school board representative for the Owatonna School Board...

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

39 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
    56 °
    60 °
    64 °
    66 °
    62 °
    62 °
    64 °
    63 °
    58 °
    56 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    53 °
    51 °
    50 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
68°/ 38°
Heavy rain
May 1
65°/ 46°
Sunny
May 2
55°/ 49°

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends,...

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

Turning the page to a new media center

Students+studying+in+the+new+OHS+media+center.+
Averi Vetsch
Students studying in the new OHS media center.

I really like the comfy furniture and it is very bright. I don’t really like that it is open to the whole cafeteria. I like the new Media Center better than the old media center.

— Makenna Neumann

With a new high school comes a new and improved Media Center. The Media Center comes with new additions that students are excited about. The furniture this year is nice and comfortable for students.

There have been many changes to the new Media Center. One change is that students are not allowed to be in the Media Center during COMPASS time anymore. Some students are disappointed about this news because they relied on staying there especially when they are not able to drive. Another change is the library is smaller than it was previously. The new Media Center is more open and spread out which is ideal for learning and studying.

At the new Media center there are lots of areas for students to sit and work. Senior Makenna Nuemann said, “I really like the comfy furniture and it is very bright. I don’t really like that it is open to the whole cafeteria. I like the new Media Center better than the old media center.”

All teachers have an option to check out the Media Center if they are wanting to use it for their class. The students taking the Options course are usually working in the Media Center space. The IT workers are stationed in the Media Center and they make sure the internet works, classroom technology works, they fix students’ chromebooks, and assure that students are learning at the highest level possible.

The library has downsized a lot but still have many books for students to check out. Librarian Ms. Diane Watts said, “I really like that the media center is user-friendly. I love the soft seating and it’s nice to have fresh space for the books. I haven’t found anything that I dislike about the media center yet. The size is good and it’s working out for everyone.” Watts is excited to utilize the new space in the Media Center. The new Media Center hopes to help students learn and focus. The Media Center is located up the learning stairs.

Averi Vetsch
Averi Vetsch, Writer
Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find her at her cabin, hanging out with friends and family and going shopping. Vetsch joined Magnet because she enjoys writing, taking photos and wants to improve her writing skills. She is planning on attending a four-year college and pursuing a future in the medical field. Vetsch is excited for her first year of Magnet.