57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
April 27
60°/ 51°
April 28
48°/ 46°
Moderate rain
April 29
47°/ 43°

Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife....

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
April 27
60°/ 51°
April 28
48°/ 46°
Moderate rain
April 29
47°/ 43°

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

A new approach to career development

Junior Sydney Fosness studies in new career center.
Ikhlas Haji

The new OHS school has helped students find opportunities to expand their skill sets in the new career center. The career center is a way for students to connect with counselors and Career Navigator Mr. Brian Coleman in order to learn more about themselves and help get an idea for their future. 

It is a great place for students to come for any support they need.

— Ms. Joni Churchill

The career center is a designated area for students to connect with counselors and Mr. Coleman for help with schedules, mental health, help with jobs and anything relating to future plans. It is also a great spot for students to feel productive and effective by allowing students to do work there. The new career center is considered physically better by some because of its light and peaceful setting. Career center receptionist Ms. Joni Churchill said, “It is a great place for students to come for any support they need.” A part of Ms. Churchill’s job is to make students feel comfortable enough to talk to her or any other career center staff about any needs or wants. 

In the old OHS, the career center was near the main office and around other staff members rather than students. However, the new career center is located where students mostly hang out. Ms. Churchill said, “I really like that we are kind of more in where the students are versus down by the main offices, so kids are more intentional about coming in for what they need.” Churchill explains how the new career center is not only physically appealing, but also more efficient for students and allows students to feel more comfortable.  

In contrast to the old career center, the new one is not connected to the main office making it more peaceful and easily accessible regarding the fact that it is surrounded by the student center. Junior Sydney Fosness said, “I definitely think it’s better than the old one just because it’s not connected to the main office. I also think it’s more welcoming than the old one.” Having the career center separate from the main office allows students to focus. 

The new OHS continues to give kids more opportunities to better prepare themselves and better opportunities to speak their mind about any inconveniences. The new career center is allowing students to feel welcome and wanted with the new space and in room 211.

Ikhlas Haji
Ikhlas Haji, Writer
Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication skills. Haji is involved in DECA, Link Crew, NHS, Mixed roots and D.I.G. In her free time you'll find her watching long netflix or hulu series, spending time with her family, or joking around with friends. Haji also loves to travel. She's been to Canada, Netherlands, Denmark, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Kenya, Turkey, North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina. D.C., New York and many more. Haji is excited to meet new people and improve her writing and photography skills in Magnet.