47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

A look into the new student center

Ramla Yussuf
The new OHS student center is located on level two.

In the new OHS, students have a new space to receive support from social workers for help with social or emotional needs in the new student center. The purpose of the student center is to give students support.

At the new OHS there are many places in the building available for students to connect with adults they trust. One of them being the student center. The student center revolves around helping students and providing support. Compared to the old OHS, there is now a designated area for students to connect with people who can offer them help.

This spot in the building is intended for language coaches, Somali and Latino, social workers to give students the opportunity to talk to trusted adults. It also includes a prayer room for Muslim students. Along with the prayer rooms, the construction team included a foot wash corner for when students make ablution to pray.

I’m glad there’s a spot in the school called the student center because it makes it feel like I can stop by whenever I need to

— Hamdi Moalim

This space is for the students. Somali interpreter Ms. Fathia Ali said, “It’s all about student support. There’s rooms for Latino students and helping them translate things as well as their parents.” The student center is busier during the afternoon due to students coming from the career center since there isn’t a bathroom in that area. Junior Hamdi Moalim said, “I’m glad there’s a spot in the school called the student center because it makes it feel like I can stop by whenever I need to.”

As for the social workers in the area their job consists of working with students with behavioral problems, mental health struggles, helping them achieve in school, and helping them function in their home life. The three social workers who work at OHS are Ms. Nancy Williams, Ms. Kari Black and Ms. Casie Devos. Ms. Williams’ and Ms. Black’s offices can be found in the career center while Ms. Devos’ office is found in the student center. The student center is found in room 212.

Ramla Yussuf
Ramla Yussuf, Writer
Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching TV, shopping and spending time with family and friends. In the future she hopes that she can be a teacher or an author. Yussuf wants to learn how to bake and also wants to learn new languages, so she can travel to multiple different countries. Yussuf joined Magnet in hopes of improving her writing skills, growing her love for journalism and meeting new people.