47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
April 28
48°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
49°/ 44°
April 30
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain
Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
April 28
48°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
49°/ 44°
April 30
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

OHS hosts first NHS Induction Ceremony in the new auditorium

NHS+officers+and+advisers+after+the+2023+new+member+induction.+
Ella Williams
NHS officers and advisers after the 2023 new member induction.

On Monday, Oct. 9 at 6:30 p.m.the National Honor Society held the annual induction ceremony for new members. It was held in the new Wenger Performing Arts Auditorium. The National Honor Society was founded in 1921 and is an organization that recognizes academic achievement and leadership in the school and throughout the community. In order to be eligible as a junior you need a GPA of at least 3.75, and as a senior a  3.6 GPA. 

To apply for NHS, students are required to write a short essay on what NHS means to them and why they feel they should be a part of the club. They must also get two adult recommendations and a list of the things they have been involved in throughout their high school years, along with what those things have taught them. Throughout the school year, NHS hosts different events. In past years they have hosted things like blood drives, color runs and pickleball tournaments. Members must also meet the minimum service hour requirement of 45 hours per year. 

I am looking forward to seeing all of the different ways that our members get involved in the OHS community. I think it’s fun to see people go out and serve where they feel like there’s a need.

— NHS Adviser Jacob Kringen

This year’s new inductee numbers were higher than usual. With 83 new members, this brings the OHS chapter to a total of 129 members. Adviser Mr. Jacob Kringen said, “I am looking forward to seeing all of the different ways that our members get involved in the OHS community. I think it’s fun to see people go out and serve where they feel like there’s a need.” There are many opportunities for NHS members to help in the community and give back. 

To start off the ceremony, president Aubrianna Werk talked about the history of the NHS and what it means. There are four pillars to the National Honor Society, and other members spoke on them. Paytyn Struss talked about the character pillar, Taya Selbrade talked about the leadership pillar, Anah Packard spoke on service, and Elijah Leon talked about scholarship. All pillars play a huge part in the role of the NHS. 

Seniors Jacob Ginskey and Elizabeth Radel announced the new members’ names as they walked across the stage, along with their parents’ names. The school has a book filled with every NHS member’s name since it was introduced to the school in the 1980s. New members would walk across the stage and sign their name in the book, then shake Principal Mr.Kory Kath’s hand and get their official certificate. After the new inductees were all announced, Dean of Students, Mr. Doug Wanous spoke about the role members will play in the new school. He reminded students that even though we don’t have the same physical pillars of the old building, the pillars of the NHS will keep our school standing strong. Werk said, “There’s a lot of students and staff that have a lot of great character and represent Owatonna well, and I think that we have a lot of integrity in this school.” 

After the ceremony was over, everyone was able to hang out in the commons and eat cookies catered from Hy-Vee and take pictures. The first NHS event of the year will be the second annual pickleball tournament on Nov. 9. More details to come. 

Ella Williams
Ella Williams, Writer
Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife. She enjoys spending time with friends and family and being outdoors. Over the summer she went to Clearwater Cove with YoungLife and worked at the Blast, a local ice cream shop. Williams plans to go to medical school after high school, and wants to go into pediatrics. She is looking forward to learning more about the activities that go on at the school while also navigating the new OHS building.