47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    42 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    39 °
49°/ 42°
71°/ 38°
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    42 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    39 °
49°/ 42°
71°/ 38°
May 1
68°/ 46°
Sunny

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving...

Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends,...

Coach Holt looks to run to success

Submitted by Luke Holt
New head coach Luke Holt excited for a great season.

The Owatonna Boys Cross Country team is excited for what the future holds with new head coach Luke Holt. He attended Albany Area Schools for his time in high school. He then attended the University of Minnesota Mankato for his Bachelor’s degree. Afterwards he attended Northwest Missouri State for his Master’s Degree.

Coach Holt has been a fan of running for a long time. Mr.Holt said, “ I got into running in 4th grade when my oldest brother started running cross country and I ran my first 5K. Both of my brothers were runners, and my parents were my high school cross country coaches.” Coach Holt has a lot of experience when it comes to running and he wants to pass down his knowledge to all of his athletes to make them the best they can be.

I have always wanted to become a coach because I love to help student athletes continually improve and get faster. The growth of a team is dependent upon every athlete, and it is fun to see each athlete on the team elevate themselves in races and in life.

— Luke Holt

Coach Holt has hopes of impacting kids’ lives as well as their athletic abilities. Mr.Holt said, “I have always wanted to become a coach because I love to help student athletes continually improve and get faster. The growth of a team is dependent upon every athlete, and it is fun to see each athlete on the team elevate themselves in races and in life.” Coach Holt has been wanting to get into the coaching game for lots of time. Now that he’s gotten his chance he wants to take advantage of the opportunity he’s been given to make his mark.

Coach Holt has already made a fast impact on his athletes. Junior Jack Sorenson said, “Coach Holt is a great mentor in and out of the sport. He has helped me decide what I want to do with my future and has helped me reach out to colleges. As a coach, he is definitely the best coach I’ve had when it comes to sports. He has helped me reach my goals and is the reason I am where I am today.” He is growing fast on his athletes and is appreciated by many. Coach Holt now has the keys and will continue to guide his Athletes through sports and through life.

Coach Holt plans on the Huskies performing well at Benson Park in Mankato on Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 5:00 p.m.

Blake FItcher
Blake FItcher, Writer
Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills. Fitcher believes Magnet would give him an opportunity to become better at being a journalist. He wants to graduate high school and go to a 2-4 year college to continue his academic and athletic career. He enjoys hanging out with friends in his free time and also listening to music while going out driving with friends.