50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
April 27
58°/ 51°
April 28
47°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
52°/ 44°

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
April 27
58°/ 51°
April 28
47°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
52°/ 44°

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Girls tennis serves up a successful season

Sophomore+no.+3+singles+player+Genna+Froman+volleys+to+her+opponent.+
Amanda Clubb
Sophomore no. 3 singles player Genna Froman volleys to her opponent.

Girls tennis is finishing a successful season this October. With a winning record, the team went into postseason matches with hopes for success and growth. 

Going into the season, a worry for the team was filling the shoes of its graduated varsity players. Younger members of the team had to step into new roles to bring the success that girls tennis experienced this season. Junior captain Emma Herzog was one player who stepped into a new role this year, competing as the team’s No. 1 singles player. Herzog said, “We’ve had to put in a lot of practice, including in the summer, and we’ve had to work really hard to develop our younger players to make sure the season was good for everyone.”

Girls tennis finished with an 8-3 record in the conference. Herzog said, “We had a winning record this year, and we took home either two or three more wins than last year. We’ve made a lot of improvements that we’re proud of.”

We’ve had to put in a lot of practice, including in the summer, and we’ve had to work really hard to develop our younger players to make sure the season was good for everyone.”

— Emma Herzog

The team played two postseason matches. In the first, Owatonna beat Rochester JM 5-2. In the second, Owatonna lost to Lakeville South 0-7. These matches concluded the season for most of the team. 

Six members of the varsity team will compete in individual sections on Thursday, Oct. 12. Individual sections are another postseason opportunity for players to switch up their role on the team as a singles or doubles player. Two singles and two doubles teams will compete.

Going into next season, the team is only graduating one senior on varsity. Coach Zach Waletich hopes that this will help continue their success. Waletich said, “I am very optimistic about next season. At the varsity level, we are only graduating one player at No. 3 doubles, so the rest of last year’s varsity line up will be returning. On top of that, we have a lot of strong depth behind our varsity top ten.” 

Girls tennis is hoping to finish the year strong at individual sections. Fans can come support the team on Thursday, Oct. 12 at the Rochester Athletic Center. 

Amanda Clubb
Amanda Clubb, Writer
Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb loves to read, play the flute and spend time with her family and friends. She joined Magnet because she loves to write and be involved at school. Clubb is excited to be a part of the OHS Magnet staff this year and is looking forward to her junior year.