58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
April 27
58°/ 51°
April 28
49°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
51°/ 44°
Moderate rain

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
April 27
58°/ 51°
April 28
49°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
51°/ 44°
Moderate rain

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife....

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

Running the Course

Jackson
Senior captain Carsyn Brady running the course at Brooktree in Owatonna.

The Owatonna Girls Cross Country team has been outstanding this year so far in their meets. At the last meet in Mankato, they took third place as a varsity team. They also took third place at the home meet. 

The girls have faced a few challenges this year, mainly injuries that have been keeping girls off the course. They lost varsity runner Naomie Delarosa to a hip injury. Other girls have been running very well and have been putting in a lot of work as well as during the summer. Coach Dan Leer said, “We have a good, solid group of girls that did a lot of training over the summer, so they have competed since day one.” 

We have a good, solid group of girls that did a lot of training over the summer, so they have competed since day one.

— Head Coach Dan Leer

If the team were to be ranked in Big 9, they would be sitting in second place only behind Northfield. The captains this year are Anna Cox, Carsyn Brady and Kiley Knudson. Senior captain Anna Cox said, “The season is going very well and we have a strong look going into Big 9 and sections.” The team is coming together and working hard to meet their goals. They hope to keep pushing and working hard going forward with the year. 

Last year, the girls were three points away from going to state as a team, however two girls qualified to go as individuals. As the team keeps working hard, the hope is to make a state appearance as a team this year. Coach Leer said, “That kinda been the goal of ours this year. We hope to really challenge those teams at sections and maybe get a state meet bid.”

The team’s next meet is the Big 9 Meet taking place at Brooktree Golf Course in Owatonna at 3:25 p.m. Oct. 17. 

Anna Mollenhauer
Anna Mollenhauer is a junior at OHS. This is her first year in Magnet. Mollenhauer is involved in girls hockey, soccer and golf. She is also involved in DECA, Young Life and 4-H. Outside of school Mollenhauer enjoys going on walks with her family, face time with her sister and going shopping. Mollenhauer also loves hanging out with family and friends and playing with her dog. After high school Mollenhauer is planning to attend a four year college to continue her education and major in law or business. Mollenhauer joined Magnet to learn how to improve her writing, take pictures as well as interview people and hopes to be more involved in school.