54 °
    52 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
58°/ 51°
47°/ 45°
52°/ 44°

Angel Barajas is a junior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet. Barajas joined Magnet to be able to get out the news of what is happening around the OHS, and because his first year in Magnet...

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

54 °
    52 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
58°/ 51°
47°/ 45°
52°/ 44°

Jack Mottl is a junior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year in Magnet. Mottl is involved in soccer and basketball. When Mottl is not in school you can find him hanging out with friends,...

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

Fresh Start Owatonna Boys Cross Country looks ahead to sections

Junior+runner+Jack+Sorenson+runs+at+Booktree+golf+course+for+Owatonna+Cross+Country+
Jackson Degrood
Junior runner Jack Sorenson runs at Booktree golf course for Owatonna Cross Country

The Owatonna Boys Cross Country team is looking for a good ending to their season as they go into Big 9 and Sections. They are a young team that is filled with potential and are improving at the right time as many runners had personal records at the EV Berg Invitational last week. 

This year the Huskies have been building their team week by week and are looking strong heading into Big nine as they rank around third and look to have top runners Jack Sorenson and Leyton WIlliams lead the way.

With sections coming up Owatonna ranks as the fifth team in Section 1AA trying to catch front runners Lakeville North and Lakeville South. Head coach Luke Holt, who is in his first year as head coach after assisting the team for the previous five years, said, “We are looking forward to seeing what we can do, and hopefully surprise some teams at the end of the year.” Williams and Sorensen individually are on pace to make state as they are the number 11 and two runners in the section. 

Throughout the year Owatonna has placed in the middle of the pack at meets and have been steadily improving each week. Senior captain Leyton WIlliams said, “We didn’t return as much as last year and are not very deep but our team is doing well individually because we are starting fresh.”

Although the team is not as deep as previous years they look to continue to build for the future. With the team being young the vision stays the same as Coach Holt looks to lead the way. Holt said, “I love being able to help guide a whole team and the athletes to find success towards their goals in life, school, and running.” Holt continues to push the runners to be their best and make an impact on them for the future. 

Owatonna’s next meet is Thursday, Oct. 26 at Brooktree Golf Course.

About the Contributors
Owen Smith
Owen Smith, Writer
Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved in baseball, basketball, NHS, DECA, and BBBS. When he is not playing baseball and basketball Smith enjoys hanging out with his friends and spending time with his family. He is a really big sports fan and enjoys watching all the Minnesota sports teams. Smith is looking forward to his first year in Magnet and learning more about the student body and becoming a better writer. 
Jackson Degrood
Jackson Degrood, Editor
Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas. When DeGrood is not playing Fortnite, he is hanging out with friends or being active. He also enjoys snowmobiling in the winter and trying new things that he has not done before. DeGrood is looking forward to being a part of the first graduating class of the new high school.