47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain
Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

New club Thriving Minds focuses on mental health at OHS

Kali Clauson
Club member Anah Packard lighting a lantern at the lantern lighting event put on by Thriving Minds.

Thriving Minds is a brand new club at OHS this year. This club was started by Jose Rosas and a select group of seniors. The club’s leaders reached out to health teacher, Mr. William Blechschmidt over the summer because they wanted to advocate for mental health at the high school. 

The main reason that started the idea for this club is the passing of one of their classmates. Senior Jaedynn Tjon, a leader of this club, said, “Most of us were impacted by the death of Dylan Lauwers and we all became really big mental health advocates.” Lauwers passed away in 2021 due to suicide which caused the community to come together, and bring a higher awareness to mental health. 

The purpose of this club is to help spread awareness and educate members and others, along with trying to break the stigma of mental health. They also want to try and make an environment where people feel comfortable to talk to one another. They are hoping that this will be a good resource for students to come to. One of the most impactful ways to improve someone’s mental health is to have a good social structure and a community that they can trust in. Mr. Blechshmidt said, “I think this club can provide that for a lot of students that are looking for ways to improve their mental health and to advocate for others.”

I think this club can provide that for a lot of students that are looking for ways to improve their mental health and to advocate for others.

— William Blechschmidt

.

Recently on Sunday, Oct. 15, the club had a lantern lighting event that took place at Lake Kohlmeier. People were given a lantern and they got to write something that they had been struggling with that was heavy on their heart. They then lit those lanterns and they were released into the sky. This brought ease to people’s worries and anxieties. 

Another event that they have coming up is on Friday, Nov. 17 where they will be handing goodie bags during lunches to advocate for national suicide awareness day. 

If students want to be a part of this club you can attend meetings on the first Thursday of every month at 7:30 a:m and join the schoology 5X4V-2WZD-26C74. Their next meeting is on Thursday Nov. 9 in the foundation room. They also have T-shirts for sale that you can buy for $5.

Lauren Kubicek
Lauren Kubicek, Writer
Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student Athletic Training. Kubicek joined Magnet to become more involved in the school and improve her writing and journalism skills. In Kubicek’s free time you can find her hanging out with her friends, at dance practice or at the lake. During the summer she works at The Blast. After high school, Kubicek plans on attending a four year university and pursuing a career in the medical field.