47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

College and career fair aims to help students find their future

Joe Zeman
Seniors meeting for college applications.

This year’s college and career fair is the perfect opportunity to help students figure out what they want to do in the future, whether that is getting in contact with a college or a potential job. The college and career fair is the perfect time for all students to go and get a feel for what they want to do in the future. 

Some students  may wonder why they should attend. As an underclassmen it is a great time to start to think about one’s future and further education, exploring ideas of what they want to do. It is a good idea for upperclassmen to go so they can solidify plans or help make big decisions.  Career coordinator, Mr. Coleman encourages all students to go to the college and career fair due to all the opportunities that will be presented. Mr. Coleman said, “I encourage everyone to attend to make decisions on college or to talk to employers for new positions that correlate with your talent or interests. We want the talent to stay in Owatonna.” At the fair one can find many job opportunities for all different talents and interests. 

Students with interests in agriculture would be interested to speak to a couple of places like Bushel Boy, Central Farm Services, Kibble Equipment and so much more. If a student is interested in Health care services Timberdale Trace, Mayo clinic, Steele county public health, Benedictine Living Community and more, will be beneficial to look at. There will be over 30 businesses at the college and career fair fit for all different people. There will be jobs with current opportunities along with some for after graduation. As for colleges there will be 25 colleges attending that are local to Minnesota as well as some from surrounding states. A few would be, Waldorf college, University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin, University of Northern Iowa, Nova Academy Of Cosmetology, and more. There will be military options as well along with, Accelerated Aviation and Laborers Training Center.

Someone who has attended the college and career fair a couple times, Junior Kylee Eaton said, “Talking to the colleges helped me get a better idea of what college I want to attend. I talked to federated last year and that encouraged me to take an accounting class this year.” The fair aims to help as many students as it can get an idea for their future. 

The college and career fair will be on Wednesday, Nov. 1 in the auxiliary gym. The event will take place for the majority of the school day where students are encouraged to stop by with their flex time, compass class or during their lunch. If a student  is not sure of what they will be doing after high school, stopping by could be a major help to them.

About the Contributors
Aurora Sim
Aurora Sim, Writer
Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson. She loves to advocate for autism awareness and kindness towards others. Sim plans to go to a four year college after high school, and study pre-med or mortuary science. Sim joined magnet this year to become more involved with school, and to bring in new and exciting stories.

Joe Zeman
Joe Zeman, Writer
Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna Soccer League. In his free time, Zeman enjoys going for walks and hikes with his family, playing video games with his friends and listening to music. His favorite genres of music are R&B and rap, with favorite artists including Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West and Tyler, the Creator. Zeman is looking forward to improving his writing skills in Magnet, and being more involved in the student body.