46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
47°/ 45°
51°/ 42°
69°/ 38°

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
47°/ 45°
51°/ 42°
69°/ 38°

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

Deggy’s Dog Pound

October sport highlights, predictions, and shout outs
Deggys Dog Pound

My name is Jackson DeGrood. At OHS Magnet I am a sports writer, sports editor, and a sports enthusiast. Here is my monthly recap of all of the big four sports and major events in the sporting world. Here we also talk about all Minnesota sports and the local Huskies. We also give you our Dawgs of the Month: people who may not get the spotlight, but played spectacular this month.

October is an action packed sports month. Basketball is starting up, baseball is ending, football is mid-season. It is one of the best months of the year because there are sports on all of the time.

Baseball:

The beginning, but also the end, of the sports seasons. In the MLB, it may be the end of the season, but the World Series is just about to start. The Rangers played the Astros in the American League Championship Series (ALCS). 

The Astros dominant pitching and hitting really let them down this series as the Rangers bats were enough to win the series. In game seven, the Rangers won 11-4 in a game where after the first inning, the Astros really never had a chance. On the other side, the NLCS has been just as entertaining. The Phillies Vs. Diamondbacks are also playing a game seven tonight. This is the battle of two of the most entertaining hitting teams I have seen in a playoff series. The Phillies also won the Wild Card and then beat the one-seeded Braves to make it here. The Diamondbacks came from the Wild Card and then beat the Dodgers to make it here. They have proved that they are real contenders and they are hoping to add to this Cinderella story. The underdog Diamondbacks and their starting pitcher Brandon Pfaadt are hoping to limit the amount of home runs hit by this Phillies lineup. That will be the key to winning this game seven. For the Phillies, they just have to get their bats started up again and forget game six. 

This World Series will be the first time in seven years that doesn’t feature the Astros or the Dodgers. It will also be the second time in a row where two Wild Card teams play each other in the World Series. After this series, only 16 Wild Card teams in MLB history have made it to the world series.

Football:

Fans are starting to see who the contenders are and aren’t through all levels. At the local level, the Huskies look like the real deal. Their outstanding offense with an athletic defense is looking to make a run through sections and hopefully to state. They play the winner of Rochester Century and Rochester John Marshall. They will only have four days to prepare for the Huskies until the section semi-final. Four days is simply not enough time for the last seed to play the number one team in the section, especially to play them and win. 

On a collegiate level, all of the top ten teams ranked in the latest AP poll look like real contenders. Though this may be concise, the Heisman race is a little more scuffed. Two of the frontrunners in Michael Penix Jr. and Caleb Williams had one of the worst games in their career this month. For now, there is no clear winner and the rest of their season will be a determining factor to decide a winner. In the state of Minnesota, the Gophers just won in a controversial game against Iowa and are ranked third in the Big 10. The Gophers look to make a run to win the Big 10 and raise their national ranking (52). 

Taking it up one more level, the NFL. The last Sunday night matchup between the Eagles and Dolphins may have just been a preview to the superbowl. These two teams are unstoppable and consistent: a lethal combination. The Chiefs are looking like the real deal as Kelce just dealt out a cool 179 yards and touchdown. The top four contenders in the league in my opinion would be the 49ers, Chiefs, Eagles, and Dolphins. Nobody can keep up with these teams.

Another team I forgot to mention for the Minnesota fans: the Vikings. After their big Monday night win, they are looking deadly. Jordan Addison is looking like a solid temporary replacement for Justin Jefferson as he had 123 yards and two touchdowns. Kirk Cousins also had a great game. However, the poorly rated Vikings defense is hoping to get some recognition for the work they have done this season. Coming into this game they were ranked 29th even though they have been nothing short of great (other than the Eagles game) all season. All of the Vikings’ losses have been to stupid offensive mistakes such as fumbles. The Vikings are looking to make a historic mid-season turnaround and playoff run. We are all here for it.

Hockey:

The Wild have been off to nothing but a mediocre start as they are 2-2, but the Gophers hockey team has been ELECTRIC. They swept St. Thomas then split the series against longtime rivals UND. This puts them at 3-1 and they have looked incredible. 

OHS Alumni Zach Wiese suits up for the Gophers every game. Wiese said, “We are currently ranked 1 and have two big series coming up against Wisconsin and UMD.” This preseason, he got some time in the crease. That would be his first time getting in during a Gophers’ hockey game. Wiese said, “I will take a lot from that moment and learn for the next time I get put in.” He is hoping to take his mistakes and learn to grow for the next time he may be put into a crucial situation.

Basketball:

The NBA is starting soon. There are many questions to be answered this season such as: Does Chris Paul bring the Warriors to a contender level? Will Jordan Poole be consistent? How do Bradley Beal and Kristaps Porzingis affect their respective teams? These and many more are all major question marks that we cannot answer until we see it. October 24th is the opening tip off.

Other:

Finally, the combat sports world has been interesting. There was recently an influencer boxing event that was a huge success but also a huge flop. Yes, lots of people bought in and yes it sold out but the main and co main event was brutal to watch. Logan Paul’s match was nothing short of a joke with a huge brawl at the end. KSI’s match was brutal. There was too much clinching, a questionable point deduction, and a questionable outcome. The UFC has also been in the midst of some drama. The doctors at UFC 294 had two questionable stoppages and outcomes throughout the main card. Ultimately, everyone is human and everyone makes mistakes but this month has had a few too many in the combat sports world.

Deggy’s Dawgs of the Month:

Deggy’s Dawgs of the month go to: Rangers’ Adolis Garcia (Outfielder), Huskies’ Caleb Hullopeter (Wide Receiver), Florida State Seminoles’ Keon Coleman (Wide Receiver), Vikings’ Jordan Addison (Wide Receiver), and Gophers’ Brody Lamb (Right Wing). Shout out to all of these players who are playing outstanding in their sport.

Overall, the 23-24 sports year will be electrifying, but not if you are a Minnesota fan. The gloom of being a Minnesota fan has not gotten any better. Stay tuned for November’s edition of Deggy’s Dog Pound as we go in depth on the big four sports and sporting news.

Jackson DeGrood
Jackson DeGrood, Editor
Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas. When DeGrood is not playing Fortnite, he is hanging out with friends or being active. He also enjoys snowmobiling in the winter and trying new things that he has not done before. DeGrood is looking forward to being a part of the first graduating class of the new high school.