47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Angel Barajas is a junior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet. Barajas joined Magnet to be able to get out the news of what is happening around the OHS, and because his first year in Magnet...

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Huskies continue to march into playoff

Jayden Omangi
The Huskies Offense lines up for the national anthem to start off the game.

The Owatonna Football team started the inaugural season at Federated field off great. They started 4-2 in their first five games, with their losses being to two Top 10 teams in the state. 

The Huskies then finished the regular season with two more wins against Rochester John Marshall and Apple Valley. They finished with a record of 6-2 with their only losses. Head coach Jeff Williams said, “We showed some good resolve and some good fight against a couple of the best teams in the state but I think coming out of it we’ve got some confidence that we can play with anybody in the state.” 

The Huskies received a first round bye, due to receiving the number one seed out of their section.  They will host Rochester John Marshall at home in the section semi-final game. Senior captain and quarterback Jacob Ginskey said, “Going into sections we feel pretty good. The win over Apple Valley was huge. Having the one seed in our section puts us in a really good position to make a run in the postseason.” The Huskies are hopeful to get back to the section championship and win it for the first time since 2020. 

Junior wide receiver and defensive back Nolan Ginskey is on pace to break the school record for receiving yards in a single-season set by Noah Budach (994) back in 2017 who played 13 games in the Huskies’ state championship run. Nolan Ginskey said, “It’d be super cool if I get it, especially knowing the success this program has had in the past and the great players who have gone through it.” With Nolan having 747 receiving yards on the season and averaging around 100 yards a game, he is on pace to break the record in 11 games.

The Huskies play in the section semifinals Saturday, Oct. 28 at 7 p.m. against Rochester John Marshall at Federated Field.

About the Contributors
Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!