49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
58°/ 51°
47°/ 45°
52°/ 44°

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
58°/ 51°
47°/ 45°
52°/ 44°

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

National Merit Scholarship semifinalist: Carter Hanson

Senior+Carter+Hanson+is+a+semifinalist+for+the+National+Merit+Scholarship.+
Senior Carter Hanson is a semifinalist for the National Merit Scholarship.

OHS senior Carter Hanson has been selected as a semifinalist for the National Merit Scholarship. Last fall, Hanson took the PSAT just like millions of other students nationwide. Hanson scored high enough on this test to be considered a scholarship recipient. 

Throughout the whole country, there are 16,000 semifinalists for the Merit Scholarship. All of the semifinalists now have to complete an essay which will be used to narrow the selection down to 7,140 finalists. The scholarship will cover $2,500 towards their freshman year of college. 

Hanson is hoping to attend UC Berkeley to major in architecture. Hanson said, “I hope to get this scholarship because it will help me have an easier time paying for college.” Hanson has put in a tremendous amount of work to be selected for this scholarship. 

I am confident that Carter will get it.

— Sara Craig

Between the PSAT, essays, and extracurriculars Hanson has had a full plate balancing these plus his day to day AP classes workload. OHS is rooting for Hanson, including Mrs. Sara Craig. Craig said, “I am confident that Carter will get it.” With a huge support school-wide OHS is confident in Hanson’s ability to receive the scholarships, and fulfill his dreams of attending UC Berkeley. 

Hanson will find out if he received the scholarship the spring but until then, he will continue working hard in his classes to prepare him for the next step.

Ava Flemke
Ava Flemke, Writer
Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters and her first year being a YoungLIfe president. Flemke spends her summers working at The Blast, attending YoungLife camps like Clearwater Cove, and spending time with her friends. After high school, Flemke plans to attend Aveda Institutes in Minneapolis to study esthiology. Flemke looks forward to spending her senior year in the new OHS and experiencing the new activities.