47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
    56 °
    60 °
    63 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

Angel Barajas is a junior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet. Barajas joined Magnet to be able to get out the news of what is happening around the OHS, and because his first year in Magnet...

47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    39 °
    39 °
    40 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    52 °
    56 °
    60 °
    63 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

The importance behind Indigenous peoples day

Designed by Ramla Yussuf
Indigenous peoples day is celebrated on the second Monday in October each year.

Indigenous peoples day, previously known as Columbus day, is a day meant to recognize the history of Indigenous people in America. Typically this day falls on the second Monday in October. 

Indigenous peoples are cultural groups that share ancestral ties with the land and resources of where they live, occupy or have been displaced. There are about 476 million Indigenous people around the globe and 574 federally recognized tribes in the United States.

In the U.S 17 states honor the holiday. Indigenous Peoples Day is celebrated with protests honoring the missing and murdered Natives. Followed up with food, art, performances, music and traditional ceremonies. Another important thing that is also done on this day is a sunrise ceremony. During a sunrise ceremony people gather together to share prayers and give thanks for all creations. Indigenous Peoples Day was recognized as a holiday in 1992 in the city of Berkely, California. In 2021, President Joe Biden signed the first presidential proclamation of Indigenous Peoples Day.

I think it should simply be celebrated by educating the youth and educating everyone on their struggles

— Lajaed Robinson

Switching Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day has been debated for years. Although Columbus Day celebrates Italian Americans history, Indigenous Peoples Day is to not only honor the loss and misplacement of Native Americans but to also embrace the current native tribes and people. Principal Kory Kath said, “We will be looking at ways to bring Indigenous people into our curriculum.”

In Mr. Woods English 10 classes they discuss Native American mythology in order to discuss cultural perspective. They also cover the Native American boarding schools and how Natives were treated in those buildings. Mr. Woods said, “I’d like to build on it and read more first person stories from Native American authors.” 

Some ways other school districts are trying to bring indigenous people into their curriculum is by partnering with Indigenous local leaders, comparing Native American poetry, dance and song to United States primary source documents. Junior Lajaed Robinson said “I think it should simply be celebrated by educating the youth and educating everyone on their struggles.”

Overall, Indigenous People’s Day is a step in the right direction to fully honor and recognize the history and culture of Native’s in America.

Ramla Yussuf
Ramla Yussuf, Writer
Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching TV, shopping and spending time with family and friends. In the future she hopes that she can be a teacher or an author. Yussuf wants to learn how to bake and also wants to learn new languages, so she can travel to multiple different countries. Yussuf joined Magnet in hopes of improving her writing skills, growing her love for journalism and meeting new people.