50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    51 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    44 °
    46 °
    50 °
    53 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
May 2
51°/ 47°
Heavy rain
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
57°/ 45°
Moderate rain

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    51 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    44 °
    46 °
    50 °
    53 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
May 2
51°/ 47°
Heavy rain
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
57°/ 45°
Moderate rain

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife....

The top hits of summer

SUMMER+HITS%3A+The+hits+of+the+summer+involve+pop%2C+country%2C+classical%2C+and+hip+hop.+
Raeghen Murry
SUMMER HITS: The hits of the summer involve pop, country, classical, and hip hop.

All “in coming trends” have variations of creativity, especially in the music industry. This involves pop, country, classical, and hip hop. This year’s incoming top hits include a wide spectrum of talented artists including Miley Cyrus, Dua Lipa,Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, and Doja Cat. These artists made the Top 10 songs of 2023. 

10. “Used To Be Young” by American singer Miley Cyrus.

It was released on Aug. 25, 2023, by Columbia Records and released on the album “Endless Summer Vacation.” Ranking it at number ten. 

9.”Dance the Night” by English and Albanian singer Dua Lipa.

The song was written for the new 2023 movie “Barbie”. Lipa and Caroline Ailin wrote it with their producers Andrew Wyatt, Mark Ronson, and the Picard Brothers who also contributed to the production.  

8. “Flowers’,another song written by American singer Miley Cyrus.

It was released on Jan. 12, 2023, through Columbia Records. As the lead single from Cyrus’ eighth studio album—”Endless Summer Vacation.” The song was a massive commercial success, setting several records and becoming Cyrus’ biggest hit. 

7.”Cruel Summer” by American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift.

The song was released on her seventh studio album “Lover”. It came out on Aug. 31, 2019. Swift wrote and produced the song with American musicians St. Vincent and Jack Antonoff. 

6. “Fast Car” by American singer-songwriter Tracy Chapman.

It was released in April. 1988, as the lead single from her self-titled debut studio album “Tracy Chapman.” “Fast Car” received three Grammy Award nominations: Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, which later won all three. The song also received a MTV Video Music Award nomination for Best Female Video in 1989. But now Tracy Chapman has not retired, she has not released any original music since 2008. However, she made a rare public return by appearing on Late Night with Seth Meyers in November 2020, performing ‘Talkin’ about a Revolution’ from home.

5. “Someone You Loved.” by Lewis Capaldi

“Someone You Loved,” was the product of Lewis’ grief after an earth-shattering family bereavement: when his grandmother passed away. It was released in Nov. 2018 as a download through Vertigo Records and Universal Music. On his debut album, “Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent”.

I think that they’re all great artists with great music. There’s a lot of different varieties of style, which I like a lot of different kinds of music.

— Lauren Packard

4. “Bad Guy” by American singer-songwriter Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connel.

This song is  the fifth single from her first studio album, “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO??” It was released in March 2019. 

3. “Daylight” by American singer-songwriter David Kushner.

Kushner wrote it with Hayden Robert Hubers, Jeremy Fedryk, and Josh Bruce Williams Rob Kirwan produced it. Music Group released it as a single in April. 14, 2023.

2. q“Vampire” written by American singer-songwriter Olivia Rodrigo.

Geffen Records released it in June 2023, as the lead single from her second studio album, Guts. Rodrigo co-wrote the song with her producer Dan Nigro.

1. “Paint the town red” by American rapper and singer Doja Cat.

This trendy catchy rap song, stuck in everyone’s head, beating songs all over the world making it the number one. From her fourth studio album,”Scarlet”. It was released on Aug 2023.

As the weather changes, summer memories start to chill out as the leaves start to change and fall and the weather gets colder. Remembering the times with a cold drink by the pool, listening to upbeat music and letting loose. Lots of summer hits are upbeat catchy songs in a variety of genres. 

Wrapping up this year’s Top hits of Summer with a spin, with new music coming and going teens thrive with new inspiration for music. All “in coming trends” have variations of creativity, especially in the music industry. 

Raeghen Murry
Raeghen Murry, photographer
Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth ministry. In her free time, you can find her watching movies, hanging with friends and family. She joined magnet for photography but then found that doing the school paper was very exciting, and she liked how it was connected with the sport activities at the school.  After high school Murry plans to go to college and major in photography and possibly start her own business.