56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
April 27
59°/ 50°
April 28
48°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
48°/ 43°
Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    54 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    59 °
    59 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    52 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
April 27
59°/ 50°
April 28
48°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
48°/ 43°
Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

Owatonna’s Cross Country teams compete at state

Ella Highfield
OHS girls cross country team poses for a picture together after the race.

The Owatonna cross country season is coming to an end after the state meet on Saturday, Nov. 4. The Boys Cross Country team had two state qualifiers, senior Leyton Williams and junior Jack Sorenson. The girls team qualified as a whole when they placed second at the section meet. Altogether, Owatonna’s cross country teams thrived this season. 

The Owatonna Girls Cross Country team had an incredible season and a great run at the state meet. They finished in 15th place. Senior Carsyn Brady has been the team’s top runner this season. Brady finished in 45 at the state meet. Brady said, “I’m so glad that I finished as strong as I did and I’m really happy with not only my placement but the team’s as well. I’m also really glad to end the season on a high note.” Brady has made it to state a total of five times as an individual. 

The girls team will be losing a total of two seniors for the next season. Coach Dan Leer said, “This is an amazing experience for the girls to run and to finish their season at an event like this. I have a lot of hope that all our younger girls will continue to strive for this in future years.” It will be thrilling to see how the girls team will continue their efforts to achieve all their goals again next season. For the girls, it was a given they were continuously putting in the work from day to day to be able to achieve their goal of going to state. 

The boys’ team consistently improved in races and their personal times, while also encouraging each other for constant progress throughout the season.

Senior Leyton Williams placed 98 with a final time of 16:49.30, his best of the season. Williams said, “I really enjoyed this race because I wasn’t nervous at all and it was just an exciting experience.” With this being Williams’ last race as a senior, he has seen a lot of improvement from himself and overall good times throughout the season.

Junior Jack Sorenson placed 43 with a time of 16:16.70. After the race, Sorenson said, “It was a really good season for me and I accomplished a lot of things I wanted to do at the end of the year.” Unlike Williams, Sorenson still has another year of room for improvement and has high aspirations to make it to state again. 

Ella Highfield
Ella Highfield, Editor
Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving Minds. Highfield joined Magnet because she took journalism as a sophomore and really enjoyed being apart of Magnet last year. Her future plans include going to a college for cosmetology school, and afterward becoming a hairstylist.