50 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    50 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    44 °
    46 °
    50 °
    53 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
    66 °
May 2
51°/ 47°
Heavy rain
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
57°/ 45°

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

50 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    50 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    44 °
    46 °
    50 °
    53 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
    66 °
May 2
51°/ 47°
Heavy rain
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
57°/ 45°

Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving...

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Book releases readers are most anticipating this month

Aurora Sim
November book releases readers are excited about.

November is an exciting month for readers. Continuations to series and multiple standalone novels are coming out this month that many should be excited for. Readers have created a sense of community sharing their love for books. These communities can be found on apps like Tik Tok, Instagram, and youtube. They call themselves things like “booktok, “bookstagram” and “booktube”. These communities share their love of books and share their excitement for new releases like these Nov. 2023 releases. 

One of the most anticipated releases for the month is “Iron Flame” by Rebecca Yarros. Iron flame is the sequel to “Fourth Wing ”. “Fourth Wing” became a social media sensation as this young adult fantasy novel explores ideas about a school with dragons. Critics have compared it to Harry Potter. Violet Sorrengail is the main character and is returning to Basgiath War College.  She has a challenging first year but is back and ready for a second, despite what her peers believed. This book was released on Nov. 7 and is available in all bookstores now. 

A second sequel coming out is “The Mystery Guest” by Nita Prose. The sequel to the New York Times bestseller, ‘The Maid’. The story revolves around Molly Gray who returns to the grand hotel in which “The Maid” takes place. This time, there is a mysterious death, of the famous author J.D Grimthorpe, in the hotel room. No one knows that the main character, Molly Gray, worked with her grandmother in the author’s mansion growing up. Critics say that this book is another highly anticipated release for November since “The Maid” was such a hit. This book releases Nov. 28 and can be pre-ordered on amazon. Sophomore McKayla Selle is excited to read ‘The Mystery Guest’ by Nita Prose. Selle said, “Not only is it a thriller, it’s likely to be a captivating read with a hook of, ‘Well, if I read, I can try and figure it out along the way!’ type feel.” 

This book is perfect for murder mysteries and thriller lovers. Selle said, “Murder mysteries usually always have a deeper dive into the plot, with little cliches most of the time, which is even better, more twists! Therefore surfacing to be an enjoyable read and can leave me with a satisfying, or even better, a well written cliffhanger ending.” These books released in Nov. are perfect for the last few days of fall. Go to a coffee shop, grab a book and dive into a new story.

Nov. has many young adult and adult romances releasing, here are the most anticipated. “Check And Mate”, a young adult novel by Ali Hazelwood, is a standalone where Mallory Greenleaf reluctantly joins a charity chess event and unexpectedly beats world chess champion, Nolan Sawyer. Mallory has hatred towards chess for ruining her family but she still wants to enter the world chess tournament to try and beat Nolan once again. A plus to the competition would be the prize money that Mallory could put towards helping her family. “Check And Mate”’ is available in all bookstores, pick it up to see if Mallory is able to win again. This novel came out Nov. 7 and is available in all online and in person bookstores. 

“Betting On You” by Lynn Painter is another young adult novel coming out. Lynn Painter is best known for her novel “Better Than The Movies” which went viral on social media for its swoon worthy story line. This next book is about seventeen year old Bailey starting a job at a hotel water park,however, she becomes  less excited once she sees an old friend, Charlie. She met him a year ago when she was flying to Omaha after her parents divorce. Bailey is frustrated she has to spend her summer with irritating Charlie. This novel releases Nov. 28 but is available for pre-order on Amazon or Lynn Painter’s website.

Lastly, an adult romance novel releasing this month is “Love Redesigned” by Lauren Asher. Lauren Asher is well known for her dreamland billionaire series. This book takes place in the same world as the dreamland billionaire series however the characters are different. The main character, Julian, hopes to avoid the interior designer Dahlia, as she just returned to Lake Wisteria. He needs to help Dahlia find her creative spark again, While he tries to get her out of Lake Wisteria as fast as possible; he starts to find himself wanting her to stay. This was released Nov. 7 and is available in all bookstores. 

Social media has brought a new light to reading and sharing everyone’s love for books. It also has influenced people to read. It created a community full of reviews and recommendations for all different genres. With extra time over break, it’s the perfect time to pick up a book. Books are also a great Christmas gift. New books are released every month.  Check one out to enjoy over Thanksgiving or Christmas break!

Aurora Sim
Aurora Sim, Writer
Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson. She loves to advocate for autism awareness and kindness towards others. Sim plans to go to a four year college after high school, and study pre-med or mortuary science. Sim joined magnet this year to become more involved with school, and to bring in new and exciting stories.